Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2011, 07:34 AM

Default Re: Modern motherboard for original PCI HD Core and Process cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Sandwisch View Post
Which CPU did you decide to go with?
i7 920. The components in the build are in my user profile.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:23 AM

ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 (see profile). Moved my HD2 PCI-system from an old G5. Was sceptical to start using Win, but have to admit - it now works great...after some tweaking. Real powerhorse for a small cost. Just follow the Win 7 optimizations point-to-point. And be aware of possible name truncating when moving your Mac sessions to PC - manually relink audiofiles with unique ID only works.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:14 PM

I set up my system around the Intel H55HC motherboard with an i7 quad and 4G RAM. Works flawlessly. Modern, currently available, 3 adjacent PCI slots. No dremel necessary.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...7BBTkwCjCECjCE
Old 04-22-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean shannon View Post
I set up my system around the Intel H55HC motherboard with an i7 quad and 4G RAM. Works flawlessly. Modern, currently available, 3 adjacent PCI slots. No dremel necessary.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...7BBTkwCjCECjCE
dude

i live in the uk im looking to build a hd3 rig PCI-X version. The mobo you suggest i cant seem to find, is it the same as the DH55HC version that one i can find

Thanks in advance

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 04-22-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul23 View Post
dude

i live in the uk im looking to build a hd3 rig PCI-X version. The mobo you suggest i cant seem to find, is it the same as the DH55HC version that one i can find

Thanks in advance
Maybe post a link to what you can get....

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 04-22-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
Maybe post a link to what you can get....
Cheers dude heres the link

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/INTEL-DH55HC-M...item20b7a10080

I dont wanna have to dremmel anything lol

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 04-22-2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Cheers dude heres the link

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/INTEL-DH55HC-M...item20b7a10080

I dont wanna have to dremmel anything lol

You might check with the seller as to the difference between the D and the H prefix. Or Intel.com. A cursory glance but they look the same to me. Most of the Intel Chipsets are about the same as far as compatibility goes. In this case your really just looking for slot clearance.

Dude the Dremel is the best part!

EDIT: Its the same board. The TigerDirect listing dropped the "D" . If you look at the actual model number its DH55HC.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 04-23-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
The mobo you suggest i cant seem to find, is it the same as the DH55HC version that one i can find
Yes, that is the one! Works well for PTHD PCI cards. You will notice that it does not have a firewire port, so I added a PCIe firewire card, and we're good! I put mine in a large rack case. Also, I added a video card because Win 7 needed it. It has been running smoothly the whole time.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean shannon View Post
Yes, that is the one! Works well for PTHD PCI cards. You will notice that it does not have a firewire port, so I added a PCIe firewire card, and we're good! I put mine in a large rack case. Also, I added a video card because Win 7 needed it. It has been running smoothly the whole time.
Cheers dude i better lay some cash out for this then

Thanks again

Old 04-25-2011, 02:13 PM

I've built both the Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3L and the Intel H55HC, each with an i7 870, and each have successfully run Pro Tools. I had to use an ATI chipset graphics card (despite the fact that only Nvidea is "Avid approved").

However, NEITHER will allow a Mojo to export video through the FireWire port. On the Gigabyte it returns a "Overloading CPU... Error -6031" error anytime the Mojo is plugged in. Regardless of video in the session or not. Regardless of driver status (modern vs. 'legacy').

The Intel doesn't have an onboard FireWire port, so I purchased the Avid approved SIIG PCIe to 1394 card. The Intel doesn't return -6031 errors-- but it also doesn't output video via FireWire. With modern drivers it won't allow Pro Tools to fully boot up, returning "Could not complete your request because The media is write protected (19) ." Whatever that means! Legacy drivers are required to even get video to even consider initializing. Eventually I was able to output stuttered & delayed video but now I can't even manage to do that.

FireWire works fine for an external hard drive, but not for real-time video output.

If you don't need to run video ON AN AVID PERIPHERAL (!) either works very well.

-------------

dopplah