Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2018, 05:55 AM

Default HDX and ADC issues offline bounce

Sorry I know it's been covered over the years. Rather than bump an old thread...

Just moved to hdx from native (and bd5 before that). When I bounce a mix, my Slate Trigger and VIS are flamning. This is with 2018.3 and a fresh install of Sierra. if bouncing realtime it doesn't happen. I haven't freezed the tracks before bouncing (my task when I get to work later today). Nothing like sending quick revision to label with a slap back on the snare :-(. At least I caught it before I hit the send button.

Is this a known issue or a more global issue? Or should I focus on Slate tech support? Is there a new checkbox I need to tick maybe?

Mac Pro 5,1 48Gb ram PTHD 2018.3 hdx system
HDX and HD NATIVE
48 gig Ram
PT 2019. Something
Sierra
192 IO and 96 IO

TDM user way back. PT user since 98.
I'm either working, sick, or both.
Old 07-27-2018, 06:26 AM

Default Re: HDX and ADC issues offline bounce

What is your bounce source? Internal Bus or physical output path?
Old 07-27-2018, 06:56 AM

“PT 12.5 Yosemite”

Is this current?
Old 07-27-2018, 09:38 AM

Hi there.

I had a similar issue with what I thought was just Trigger, but my flaming / out of synch ness, happened on any stereo track that I tried any offline processing ( committing or bouncing)

the addition of sub paths to any contributing ( upstream) sources, or any downstream recipients tracks solved the issue for me.

Avid said it was a known bug, and this “adding sub paths” would be a temporary fix until the bug is addressed in a future build.

Hope that helps.

Sean McDonald
Red Medicine Recording LLC
Sofa King Music Services
http://www.seanmcdonald.com
Old 07-27-2018, 09:43 AM

Yes. This is an issue. There are a couple of threads regarding it. Apparently, Avid acknowledges this behavior and has stated that things go south with delay over 6000 samples in certain routing circumstances. I’m willing to bet that your triggers or vis are also routed to an aux. am I right? I’ve reverted to doing real-time bounces for anything important. It really sucks. It’s the only fix I want to see in the next update. Ridiculous.
Old 07-27-2018, 06:44 PM

No. Didn't update the sig yet. just installed Sierra and using 2018.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitT View Post
“PT 12.5 Yosemite”

Is this current?
HDX and HD NATIVE
48 gig Ram
PT 2019. Something
Sierra
192 IO and 96 IO

Old 07-27-2018, 06:51 PM

Thanks, yes, the VIs and drums are definitely routed to Aux busses (sometimes nested like tom subs into drum sub etc). Thanks guys for the info on how to work around it. I must admit I didn't quite understand the upstream downstream tip. If you could for instance me I'd be most appreciative.

I did test it this aft with a simple (i.e. No busses) session and it worked ok.

Is this an HDX thing? Or a 2018.x flavor Thing. It drives me nuts because it wasn't an issue on 12.5 or my native system :-(. I just figured I'd try and gut this transition thru instead of switching boot Drives every few hours.
HDX and HD NATIVE
48 gig Ram
PT 2019. Something
Sierra
192 IO and 96 IO

Old 07-27-2018, 08:18 PM

Sorry for the upstream downstream confusion.

What I meant by that was, any contributing tracks, like your trigger track, that probably goes into a drum bus, then a mix bus, to a print track.
Each and every one of those tracks from start to finish of your signal flow, ( at least in my sessions) need to have subpaths assigned to them to solve the sync / delay compensation/flamming issue.

As an example, I had 50 different songs, that we’re all in the box, that all of the multi tracks were distributed to associated subgroups.

My hope was to off-line bounce or commit those sub groups, and quickly create stems.
I kept on getting these weird delay issues like you are experiencing with the trigger plug-in.

But once I assigned sub paths to all source and recipients tracks like my sub groups, all of those issues went away.

Hopefully that makes sense.

If not please drop me a line, and we could discuss it on the phone

Sean McDonald
Red Medicine Recording LLC
Sofa King Music Services
http://www.seanmcdonald.com
Old 07-27-2018, 08:20 PM

Remember, that with HDX, what you're hearing is summing on the physical DSP chips on the HDX card. You're making decisions all day, based on what you're hearing.

When you do an offline bounce, the entire mixer is being recreated on the intel CPU (including "Heat"), and rendered in faster-than-real-time. So, a mix environment is being rebuilt in the background and generating a result that you've never heard. I can assure you that mixing in Native world is quite a bit more capable than mixing in HDX world (other than the crippled voice count). Sounds SO much more open and the reverb tails sound quite a bit smoother all the way down.

I can assure you, as somebody who has an interface setup (Merging HORUS) that allows me to switch between the HDX playback engine, and the Intel-based playback engine (via Ravenna CoreAudio driver), that the sonic difference between the two is quite substantial.

Unless I was working all day on a mix for maybe a TV show in a Native (Intel CPU) mix environment and was in a hell-fire hurry, there's no way I would bounce a mix for a song without hearing it go down. It's important. It's our job to make sure that what our clients hear is what we heard. Not casting judgement here, just saying that if you do an offline bounce it actually takes longer, because now you have to listen to the entire file before you send it out...

Just some thoughts...

Last edited by Mixchump; 07-27-2018 at 08:21 PM. Reason: formatting
Old 07-28-2018, 06:43 AM

Have you done a Null-test? I'm pretty sure native and HDX sound exactly the same, unless there's a bug. We've had this here quite a few times...