Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 10-08-2011, 02:21 AM

Default Protools 9 + Apogee Ensemble + MMS and Latency for external effects?

Hey guys,

I've been running an apogee ensemble + a mini mac server with lion and am having some issues using ableton live. Things like crackling audio regardless of buffer rate and changing latency times with outboard gear when being used as inserts...

Does anyone have any experience using similar hardware in Protools 9? In Ableton I might be mixing a session over a few hours and the latency of inserted gear shifts by 20 samples in the middle of it. With a dozen channels of hardware inserted it frustrating!

Is the latency in protools with an ensemble at least reasonably concrete???
Old 10-11-2011, 03:16 PM

Default Re: Protools 9 + Apogee Ensemble + MMS and Latency for external effects?

I use an ensemble with PT9. Latency is only a problem depending on your ram not the interface. I only hear clicks and pops when I use a lot of virtual instruments and plugins but changing buffer size fixes that.
Although I do know somebody with a PC that has that problem. I think it's a software issue.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:13 PM

Default Re: Protools 9 + Apogee Ensemble + MMS and Latency for external effects?

My issue is largely related to the insertion of external effects in a mix. Do you have an experience with this? In Ableton live the latency is compensated for manually (flipping the return out of phase and adjusting the sample offset until they null). The problem is... when you add a CPU intensive plugin with an kind of "lookahead" function which increases the overall buffer time for the audio...sync with external effects is totally lost.

How is this handled in protools 9??