Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)

Old 01-16-2012, 11:25 AM

Using OSX Lion with Pro Tools 8.05. No Problem.

Initially it worked with the MacBook Pro but gave me problems with the Mac Mini. and now on iMac i5 Lion its fine.

Installing it on Lion:
Install Fresh Version of PT8. When it says 1 minute remaining, you need to wait about 15 more minutes. It might seem stuck but it isn't.

Most of the VST's and Plug-Ins won't work until you download 8.05 and Install.

Cheers.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:17 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools LE 8.05 vs OSX Lion

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundsurfr View Post
What version of PT8 are you installing? I was able to run a fresh install of PT8 on my Mac Mini which is running Lion. I first installed PT 8.0. Did NOT attempt to run it. Then dowloaded and installed the 8.0.5 upgrade. Once that was installed, I was able to open PT and run sessions.

I've found that sessions sometimes foul up if you try to open Pro Tools from the session file - better to open Pro-Tools, then choose Open Session from within Pro Tools. Other than that, no issues at all.

Not to bring up an old thread, but I am getting some decent cash back from taxes and was planning on getting a Mac Mini, the $799 version. I basically do music as a hobby any more, so I dont need huge horse power.

Thing is, my current PC will no longer run PTLE8 (or anything for that matter) with out freezing up. I have diagnosed it to be a problem with the motherboard, but cost is prohibitive to upgrade to a newer PC, it's that old. So the Mac Mini is perfect, as I have fallen in love with the Apple way since getting an iPod touch a couple of years ago.

Here is the catch: Avid says PT versions before 10 will not work on Lion, period.

but it seems some have said it will, then some say it does not. I realize there are alot of variations out there (although not as many as PC) but there must be some consensus. If I buy a Mac Mini today, will I be able to get PTLE8 to work on it? I will also be using it for other things as well, such as finances, etc. But like I said, I use it for a hobby anymore.

BTW, dropping $500 for 10 is not really an option at this point. Im not getting that much back...
Old 05-06-2012, 07:05 AM

Did you guys upgrade to Lion while PT 8 was installed? I am out of town and I have snow leopard on my 8 core mac at home. I am a voice actor and I have a Mac book pro with me.

I have lion and also have snow leopard on a boot disk in which I have to run PT LE 8. It is a pain in the butt.

I can't seem to load PT 8 on lion. I want to get the patch to 8.05. If I can run PT8 for a while longer (on Lion), I will be happy. For a voice actor, I don't want to pay the 400 bucks for a cross grade. I stay with PT because of the time/pitch function that saves me when I get copy that comes out to :33 sec and I need it :29.

If there is a work around let me know or let me know how you were able to install PT 8 on Lion. I have an MBOX 2.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:00 AM

Soooo, I have PT9LE, Lion 10.7.3, MBox2 and an Incompatible Software folder full of the Digidesign files posted in this thread. All my software instruments (Ivory, Prophet V2, Wavestation Legacy, Ultra Analog, etc.) all work inside PT, but not as standalone.

What do I have to do to get these instruments to work again by themselves as they did pre PT9 / Lion install?
Old 05-08-2012, 05:45 PM

How were you able to load pt8le on lion.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:05 AM

I was running PT8.x on OSX Snow Leopard. I upgraded both PT to v9, and SL to Lion in one shot. So I never had PT8 running on Lion.