Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 03-23-2008, 01:10 PM

Default Re: Mac Pro/HD3 boot-up problem

Quote:
Update on my last post: After nearly three months of the problem not happening, it has returned; how random.
Futurist, did you ever contact the DigiSupport Directly via phone or email about the problem?
I saw that they where posting earlier in this thread, but really don´t know if this problem is on their "priority list" or not.
Did you have the problems right from the start (like me with a brand new system, new mac & new HD system) or is this something that came straight out of the blue?
I really appreciate your answer!

Did someone ever tried to exchange their HD cards thru digidesign to solve the problem?

MacPro 8-core, 2.8Ghz 10GB Ram
4x500GB internal Sata Drives,
NO
external FW or USB drives,
Leopard 10.5.5,
PTHD3 Accel PCIe (internal - NO Magma)
PT 8.0cs1
latest Pro Application Support update
D-Command
2x96 I/O

My Songwriter & Recording Studio Site

Old 03-23-2008, 01:51 PM

I just bought a new 2.8GHz 8 core, with new HD3 PCI-e cards. Leopard 10.5.1 is installed. I booted it up once before installing the cards and it booted fine. After installing the cards, first time booting I got the Apple logo, but not the circular grey animation (not the beach ball) that indicates things are loading up. I held the power button in to power down, then it booted fine the second time. So, nothing new to report other than that even with the newest cards and the newest Mac Pros it's still happening. This was with just the stock 2GB RAM installed, by the way.

Digi, can you please update us on what is going on? Even if it's nothing new, we appreciate knowing that we are not forgotten on this issue. Thanks
Old 03-23-2008, 01:53 PM

Quote:
I would have to open up my computer to check this, but when I ran DigiTest I was surprised to learn that my Core card was in the third slot and an Accel card was in the 1st - ProTools still worked, but when I opened the computer, it turned out, according to DigiTest, that I needed to move my Core card to the outside slot, or the slot closest to the "wall," as it were, of the computer, or the outer most slot.

I could be mistaken, but my suggestion of running DigiTest and making sure your Core card is on the right slot is still a good one. By doing that and running the firmware updater, I've not had a boot problem since.

Craig
Craig - has this fix still been good for you?
Old 03-23-2008, 02:01 PM

Once, but I don't think it was Digi related, as it started to boot, gave me a white screen, and then remained like that until I did a hard shut down and start up.

Besides that one time - and that was just a few days ago - (and it was not the same behavior as this Digi problem) I have not had one single incident since I ran the Mac Pro updater and reseated my Digi cards in their correct slots (according to DigiTest).

Craig
Old 03-23-2008, 02:58 PM

Is the boot up problem present with the new Mac Proes ( 2008 releases)?

http://www.facebook.com/alecio.costa

PT HD2 Accel - 10.3.10 OS 10.6.8 - Mac Pro 1,1 16GB RAM and Mac Pro 2,1 GB
Mastering Gear: Pendulum Audio, Crane Song, Avalon, Great River, Sebatron, Sonnox, Izotope, PSP, TC, Fab Filter.
Old 03-23-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Is the boot up problem present with the new Mac Proes ( 2008 releases)?
Yes! mine is 01/08 built, with a brand new PCIe HD3....

NO
Leopard 10.5.5,
PT 8.0cs1
D-Command
2x96 I/O

Old 03-23-2008, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Once, but I don't think it was Digi related, as it started to boot, gave me a white screen, and then remained like that until I did a hard shut down and start up.

Besides that one time - and that was just a few days ago - (and it was not the same behavior as this Digi problem) I have not had one single incident since I ran the Mac Pro updater and reseated my Digi cards in their correct slots (according to DigiTest).

Craig
Maybe I will try this if it continues to be a problem. Has anyone else tried changing the card/slot order the way Craig has?
Old 03-23-2008, 10:41 PM

All,

I had the problem and was beta tester for new cards. I don't know what Digi support discovered with other beta testers, but with new Core and Accel cards installed in my 2.66 MacPro the problem has been resolved. I have been running clean for more than 2 months and dozens of boots. My understanding is that the issue relates to the failure of send and acknowledgement messages that occur between the PCIe cards and the Mac during the power up process. Apparently the interaction gets stuck in a kind of loop mode and therefore hangs.

Scot
Old 03-23-2008, 11:21 PM

New cards - as in, haven't yet been released? Are they basically the same capability as the current cards?
Old 03-24-2008, 04:14 AM

[/QUOTE]

Maybe I will try this if it continues to be a problem. Has anyone else tried changing the card/slot order the way Craig has?

[/QUOTE]

Nope, in my case it didn´t make any difference. I also tried pulling out all Accel Cards, restarting with only the CoreCard, but it does not help either.
But ( i don´t know if this is somthing important) I have an "UserEventAgent Not Responding"message in my Activity Monitor caused by the digicore plugin in the Lib/Audio/Plugins/HAL folder. (Problem solved, some people say it is the digicoreplugin, but for me deleting the "BluetoothUserAgent-Plugin.plugin" in the /System/Library/UserEventPlugins folder solved it.)

This night I put a new system Harddrive into my Mac, and it seems that i don´t get the "restart your computer message" anymore, I only get the full grey screen sitting there and waiting for me pressing the power button to restart...

NO
Leopard 10.5.5,
PT 8.0cs1
D-Command
2x96 I/O