Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 01-12-2008, 07:41 PM

Default Re: Mac Pro/HD3 boot-up problem

Yea, this happens to mine about once-a-month.

The only temporary fix that I can come up with is to:
Unplug the a/c cable from the computer.
Let computer sit for about 15 mins.
Reconnect the a/c cable and reboot.

This seems to work evertime.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:26 AM

Just found this thread - I assumed I had an odd machine and just put up with it but thought I'd better sort it out before my warranty runs out on the Mac and Digi gear in case the issue is hardware.

Anyway, MacPro 2.66 Dual Core, 5GB ram, HD3 Accel, 2x192 I/O. Had issues in 10.4.9, 10.4.10 and 10.4.11.

Seemed to come up with the same findings as everyone else i.e. unplug 192's and it boots up OK. My Mac refuses to boot up almost every time it is switched on but will eventually play ball by the third or fourth attempt.

Just trying the firmware update and will report back.

Thanks for everybody's posts on this, very informative.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
......unplug 192's and it boots up OK. My Mac refuses to boot up almost every time it is switched on, and will do it on the third or fourth attempt.......
Hey donhozz,
Unplugging the a/c cable from the computer for about 5-6 minutes then reconnecting and rebooting resolves this problem on my system.
After reading your post I tried what you mention (unplugging 192 I/O's) without any success.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:58 PM

Hey Guys. . . Don't waste your time on this problem. As per earlier posts, this startup problem on Mac Pros is a known issue. . . you probably need replacements PCI-express cards. Call Digidesign tech support.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:26 AM

I think I might have a variation of the problem.

Dual 3G MacPro HD3Accel. Launching ProTools will freeze the Mac or will on occasion actually restart the Mac. It will do the same when trying to run DigiTest. It happens early in the boot sequence presumably as a reset is sent to the cards. This system ran with no problems for a few months then the problem gradually appeared.

The MacPro itself passes all tests I can think of.

I thought it might be the power supply and had it changed - no difference. It is not the software as I have tried another known 'good' build.

Pull one Accel card and it runs fine as an HD2 system (it is not the Accel card as I have tried both).

Unfortunately I don't have access to another MacPro or more PCIe cards, so can't try moving cards etc around.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:45 AM

This may seem like a strange coincidense, but I felt it was worth reporting: So far, in 2008, my machine has not once exhibited the boot problem; which is odd considering that it had consistently--on a random basis-- done it throughout 2007. In fact, the last time it happened was late December. The machine is booted almost every day, and there has never been more than 2-3 weeks between boot glitches. I did not do any hardware, firmware, or OS changes, and am suprised every day when it starts on the first try. I have tried to retrace my steps to find something I may have done to influence this, but I can't think of anything significant. Of course there were a few software installs, but it almost certainly is not related to that.
I will be sure to report if and when this changes; which now that I have brought it up, will likely change tomorrow (hope not) ...we'll see!
Is there anyone else who has experienced this? It must be a happy fluke!
Old 03-19-2008, 12:02 PM

Here's my update. Along with the grey screen boot issue, I was having NUMEROUS issues with mounting Firewire drives and hangs when browsing files on FW drives. As a result I stopped using FW drives altogether and My system stabalized and I ALSO didn't have any grey boot screens. I recently had a particularly bad FW drive stituation where I couldn't copy 15 files from a portable (bus powered) FW drive without half of them being ureadable (by PT's, QT etc). I ended up connecting the drive to another computer and copying them over the network fine. I then moved my computer from the machine room into my control room and also pulled it off of my UPS (this was a 7 year old cheapo Belkin UPS). Since pulling the computer off of this beatup UPS I've had NO FW issues (that troublesome portable FW drive copied the same 15 files perfectly 10 times in a row). I don't know if this was the root of my Grey Boot screen issue, but My system seems to be MUCH happier running on CLEAN POWER.

Tim

Quote:
We are still looking into the issue. At this point, we cannot identify any issues with the HD cards and the problem appears to be related to the computer itself. We are working with Apple to identify the source of the problem and will report back as soon as we have any further info.

System 2: Pro Tools 2019.12 (no Hardware), Mac OS 10.14.6, MBP (Retina 13in, Early 2015, 3.1Ghz i7, 16Gig RAM)
Old 03-22-2008, 01:28 PM

BUMP, any news, any lucky guys who solved the problem?

MacPro 8-core, 2.8Ghz 10GB Ram
4x500GB internal Sata Drives,
NO
external FW or USB drives,
Leopard 10.5.5,
PTHD3 Accel PCIe (internal - NO Magma)
PT 8.0cs1
latest Pro Application Support update
D-Command
2x96 I/O

My Songwriter & Recording Studio Site

Old 03-23-2008, 11:05 AM

First, I´ve got the same anoying stuff going on as you guys here.
My setup: MacPro 8-core, 2.8Ghz 10GB Ram (the Ram was already renewed 2 days ago, but no luck)
I have 10.5.1 installed, PTHD3 Accel PCIe installed inside of the mac (no Magma).

okay, just went to the apple shop (the boss is a friend of mine, he was so kind to help me out on a sunday!) and we installed the complete HD system into another Mac (the same specs) which was built some weeks earlier then mine. guess what? YES - at the first boot - BANG here we go again, grey screen - please restart your computer.

Today I´ll test if it depends on a special HD Card (one of the Accel, or the Core Card???).
I´ll report my expiriences later.....

MacPro 8-core, 2.8Ghz 10GB Ram
4x500GB internal Sata Drives,
NO
external FW or USB drives,
Leopard 10.5.5,
PTHD3 Accel PCIe (internal - NO Magma)
PT 8.0cs1
latest Pro Application Support update
D-Command
2x96 I/O

My Songwriter & Recording Studio Site

Old 03-23-2008, 12:46 PM

Update on my last post: After nearly three months of the problem not happening, it has returned; how random.