Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 02-24-2008, 05:46 PM

Default Leopard/PT7.4.1 issues...

Hi World,

Here's some weird stuff...

I've upgraded to OS10.5.1 / PT7.4.1, I have an HD2 system on a new 2.8Ghz Quad Core Intel/4GB RAM. I have successfully upgraded all my plugins that were not compatible with Leopard to the compatible updates.

1. I've turned of ALL the keyboard shortcuts for OSx, including Expose & dash, yet half of the function key shortcuts in Protools do now work;- for example, I regularly use the F1 to F8 keys to select slip, spot, grid, shuffle etc, and grab/trim/which tools I use etc. These now refuse to do anything except apple functions such as Expose, Dashboard etc....very annoying. Any ideas???

2. Quite regularly now, but randomly, even is very small sessions, whilst playing or recording, the audio will go into a weird loop of itself, playing one section (randomly) of about 5 secs of audio over and over for 3 to 4 times, playback will stop, and I get the warning window stating 'you are running out of CPU power; Remove some RTAS or increase CPU usage limit in the PB engine dialog. (-9128)'..I open the 'system usage' window, and I'm barely even registering any CPU load...I only have one or two RTAS plugs open...and yes, they are upgraded and compatible with 10.5.1/PT7.4.1. CPU usage has been increased to max in PB Engine Dialog, I am still getting the same errors/warnings. Any ideas anyone??

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:37 AM

Default Re: Leopard/PT7.4.1 issues...

Hey,

Strange, same thing here. Mac 2.8Ghz 8-Core with 10GB Ram.
When I step down to 2 processors (that´s why I bought an 8 Core....arrr), it seems to work better.

Is Pt 7.4.1 not supporting 4 or 8 core Macs?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

MacPro 8-core, 2.8Ghz 10GB Ram
4x500GB internal Sata Drives,
NO
external FW or USB drives,
Leopard 10.5.5,
PTHD3 Accel PCIe (internal - NO Magma)
PT 8.0cs1
latest Pro Application Support update
D-Command
2x96 I/O

My Songwriter & Recording Studio Site

Old 03-14-2008, 07:21 AM

Quote:
1. I've turned of ALL the keyboard shortcuts for OSx, including Expose & dash, yet half of the function key shortcuts in Protools do now work;- for example, I regularly use the F1 to F8 keys to select slip, spot, grid, shuffle etc, and grab/trim/which tools I use etc. These now refuse to do anything except apple functions such as Expose, Dashboard etc....very annoying. Any ideas???
From Apple support

Quote:
To access the F keys as function keys (F1-F12), the keyboard now includes the Function modifier key (Fn). Press and hold this key while pressing a function key, F1 through F12, to use it as function key. F5 and F6 are exceptions; they are not dual-purpose keys and do not require the function key.
I just keep my old keyboard to work with ProTools.

JC
Old 03-14-2008, 09:27 AM

Slow down, I know you're excited...don't unpack your computers so damn quickly. Now it should be obvious what's going on. Simply look at your aluminum keyboard. The keys like volume, brightness, etc have been remapped to the F1-F12 keys. Go to:

-System Prefs
--Keyboard & Mouse
---Keyboard
----checkbox "Use all F1, F2 etc as standard function keys."
Old 03-14-2008, 07:14 PM

Also while we are on the leopard subject, make sure you are not using any MC DSP plugins yet or you'll have weird things happening

in your sessions.

I had ghost regions appears on tracks,i could see them ,they would not play and it was impossible to delete.that drove me crazy

till I got the Email from mc DSP stating that the plugins would be compatible at the end of the month.

It was hard to discover ,I was using them in my templates sessions and the plugins are "working" just made the session out of
whack.

If you are aware of any other plugins that are "working" but not really compatible yet .let's us know

Francois
Old 03-19-2008, 09:48 PM

Hello. I am just setting up the new gear and am (of course) having some problems.

Quote:
2. Quite regularly now, but randomly, even is very small sessions, whilst playing or recording, the audio will go into a weird loop of itself, playing one section (randomly) of about 5 secs of audio over and over for 3 to 4 times, playback will stop, and I get the warning window stating 'you are running out of CPU power; Remove some RTAS or increase CPU usage limit in the PB engine dialog. (-9128)
I can relate to this. I opened a mix session from last year and this happened quite often.

Also...

Have you guys installed Waves on Leopard ? I just installed Ren Maxx TDM bundle from Waves version 5.9.7. (The officially support P.t. 7.4.1. og MacOs 10.5.1) and that is exactly what I have installed.
But Waves crashes Pro Tools and I can't find out what the problem is

Experience anyone ???
Old 03-19-2008, 11:41 PM

Everyone is having the same issue with the RTAS engine. It's not working quite properly across all 8 cores, for the time being try only setting it up to 4 cores (or less) and you will see that it runs a bit smoother. I have to admit despite a few quirky bugs here and there it's running solid and I have A LOT of 3rd party plug's. Hope this helps.

Pro Tools 10 HD Native | Mbox 3 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.3 i5 | OSX 10.7.4

Pro Tools Music & Post Operator V6-8, Instructor, and Expert ICON Mixer Certified.
Multi-Platinum Pro Tools Videos
Old 03-20-2008, 05:25 AM

yup i got EXACTLY the same problem and you guys

quite annoying after buying a new mac and protools HD - it not working properly!!! lol

other than turning off cores (as hat seams a step backwards) any fixes?

C.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:30 AM

not sure the 2) bug is leopard related. I've seen it much more times in protools 7.3.1 with Tiger than pt 7.4.1 with leopard.
My new macpro is working without any problem, it's one of the best rock solid system that i had.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:44 AM

I do know that they are working on getting it fixed with an update, Digi has already posted about how complicated Leopard is under the hood and how it works. When you have a machine that starts getting very sophisticated with how it allocates processing power to different apps or background tasks, there is bound to be communication issues. I'm sure Digi will chime in at some point to address what exactly is going on. I have faith that everything will be working smoothly in the next 1 to 2 updates. Call me optimistic.

Pro Tools 10 HD Native | Mbox 3 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.3 i5 | OSX 10.7.4

Pro Tools Music & Post Operator V6-8, Instructor, and Expert ICON Mixer Certified.
Multi-Platinum Pro Tools Videos