Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 02-24-2008, 12:03 AM

Default Re: Lightbridge questions: latency, laptops and firewire car

the lightbridge appears to look like the best option for using your own preamps for 16 channels in m-powered. everyone ive read posts from (here and elsewhere) have had the same problems when attempting to use spdif inputs + adat + external clock. however, im still looking to get one of these units JUST to see how well it (and my system) will handle 16 adat channels @ 96k. so far the lightbridge is the only piece of LE/M-Powered hardware that will allow this. however, ive heard from noone thats done this so far using external clocking, which to myself would be an important aspect of the unit's functionality. having said that, its a cheap unit and there wont be a huge loss if i dont get along with it. many people out there have been tearing their hair out with it.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:42 PM

I took the laptop over to my friends new studio he just finished at his house. I hooked up his project mix to it using the built in firewire port that happens to be a TI chipset and fired up 7.1. I did some preliminary tests. It went great! I was able to burn 16 tracks to the internal HD at 24/48! And it's only a 5400rpm drive! Course I don't expect to do this all the time but I'll probably do 8 track live work until I get an external FW drive. I ran each test for about 10 minutes without problems. I didn't get into testing plugin's or virtual instruments but I don't expect a whole lot out of this 1.7gig, 1gig ram rig. I mainly want it for live tracking, demo's and some editing and rough mixes. Of course the Project Mix is not the Lightbridge but it proved the concept. The Firewire buss works well and the laptop handles 7.1 pretty well. I'll try 7.4 some time down the road.

I'll probably use something lighter and simpler for tracking live like Reaper anyway. It'll also allow me to work around Digi's 18 I/O limitation. I can pick up another rack of pre's and do 24 channels live. Of course I'll have to make sure the clocks work well together but I can jump off the bridge when I get to it.

So based on these tests I got a lightbridge showing up this week. I'm 85% sure it'll do what I want it to do on the laptop and I'm 100% sure it'll absolutely rock on my new dual core 3ghz 2gigs DDR3 desktop I use at home.

So the Digi 001 is going up on Craigslist here as soon as I get the lightbridge. I'll let you guys know how it goes down when it shows up. I'm looking forward to the big update to my PT rig.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:26 PM

Quote:
So the Digi 001 is going up on Craigslist here as soon as I get the lightbridge. I'll let you guys know how it goes down when it shows up. I'm looking forward to the big update to my PT rig.
you should hang onto that 001 - at least until you have the lightbridge running solid. it would suck to let the 001 go, and then have to "work in" a new system (M-Powered) with BIG troubleshooting downtime.