Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2002, 12:14 AM

Default 48K to 44.1 "Convert After Bounce" = Chipmunks?

Hi all,

I had a session this weekend where a band brought their own producer. Aside from basically rewiring my studio, he insisted on working at 24/48, despite the fact that we were going to bounce to CD when we finished. He felt we really needed the extra 3.9K of sampling. I suggested staying at 44.1 for the project, but he didn't like that idea. Hey, he's paying, so that's what we did.

When it was time to bounce, I selected 16 bit, stereo interleaved, and 44100, and bounced.
Problem was, the resulting file plays "fast" and out of pitch.
Does that function not do what I want it to do? The user's guide is pretty vague.
If that's not the way to do it, what is? Is there another function in PT that does this instead?
Seems to me this is awfully misleading.
I'm using 5.1.1, BTW.

Thanks for any advice here. Ordinarily, I would just work in 44.1, but I didn't have a choice here.

Sean
Old 08-26-2002, 12:18 AM

Default Re: 48K to 44.1 "Convert After Bounce" = Chipmunks?

what session or application did you play back the bouced file in.
Are you playing the 44.1 file in a 48k application?...

I'm using 5.3.1, but this should be the same...and it should be fine...And you are dithering properly, right (which has nothing to do with pitch)?
Old 08-26-2002, 12:35 AM

Hi Doug,

I sent the bounced files to Toast Titanium 5, from whence I burned the CD. This is what I do all the time with the bounced files I create.
This is the only time I've done it with a 48K session. I even tried bouncing as 48, then letting Toast convert. Same result.
Then, just for fun, I took the 48K files, over to the PC, where I have Sound Forge. SF recognized the files as 48K, and _still_ they played fast.
I think there's either a bug in PT's bounce, or 48K is just evil.
I don't even want to tell you what I eventually did to get a 44.1K file that would play correctly for the band.

Thanks,

Sean
Old 08-26-2002, 07:18 AM
Avid

-Is Pro Tools resolved to an external digital clock source? If so, open the Setups>Hardware window, switch to “Internal” Sync Mode and attempt another bounce...is the pitch still wrong?

If this behavior only occurs with this one particular session, it may be corrupt. Create a new session, use the File>Import Tracks command to transfer the tracks into the new session file and attempt another bounce.

Brent
Old 08-26-2002, 02:16 PM

Shoot, now I'm confused. I thought that putting a 16 bit dither on the master fader in a 24 bit/44.1 k session and bouncing to a 16 bit/44.1 k file would create a file that's NOT truncated. What is the best way to do it, assuming I don't have any hardware dither or software other than Digi's dither? Thanks a lot in advance!

-Donny
the confused one
Old 08-26-2002, 02:20 PM

Sorry about taking the post off topic. Bloodspoint - did you find out what the problem was?

-Donny
Old 08-26-2002, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DigiTechSupt:
-Is Pro Tools resolved to an external digital clock source? If so, open the Setups>Hardware window, switch to “Internal” Sync Mode and attempt another bounce...is the pitch still wrong?

If this behavior only occurs with this one particular session, it may be corrupt. Create a new session, use the File>Import Tracks command to transfer the tracks into the new session file and attempt another bounce.

Brent
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Okay, I looked, and I had it set to Internal, like it should be. I tried importing the tracks to a new session at 48K and tried the bounce again. Same results.
Then I tried a new session at 44.1K, and tried the import again. Of course, the dialog said it would convert the audio to 44.1K. No problem, right?
But I played the session, and the files still sound fast. I really think something is wrong that is causing PT _not_ to convert the audio, though the files think they are 44.1.
I'm never working in 48K again.

Sean
Old 08-26-2002, 10:19 PM

I should mention, too, that when I imported the tracks to the new 48K session, they sounded okay. I even yesterday tried "Save a Copy in" with a 44.1K target sample rate, so PT would have to convert all my audio. Still fast.

Sean
Old 08-27-2002, 12:30 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally posted by bloodspoint:
Hi all,
When it was time to bounce, I selected 16 bit, stereo interleaved, and 44100, and bounced.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">By the way, it is much better to first bounce to 44.1kHz 24-bit, and then reimport the 44.1kHz file and then dither to 16-bit. The way you're doing it will result in 16-bit truncation, even if you're using a dither plug-in on the master fader.
Old 08-27-2002, 03:30 AM

When playing 44K file in Toast, make sure setup your hardware at 44K in Digidesign sound control panel.
I suspects that after you use 48k session, the system still stay in 48K mode, the toast will not automatic swich the system to 44K to playback the file...so you'll have to swich in manual.
My suggestion is get a Jam (Red book audio CD burnning) Jam will use Digidesign driver to playback and Jam will automatic switch the system to 44K
Everything sound was right, except the playback setting
If still not work, go ahead burn a cd, take the CD to any CD player, if the sound still fast, there is something really wrong
Hope this help
Sonny