Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2009, 10:43 AM

Default PT HD ADC is more of an enemy than a friend

I have been reporting this numerous of times since version 7.0 and I find it amazing that the problem has NOT yet been dealt with.

If ADC is active (I have mine set to Long Delays all the time) inserting a plug-in anywhere can (randomly) cause the ADC to render a session useless, at least until saved and closed or closed without saving. But what if I wished to NOT save but did not want to loose my work??? There is no other way than to do an "in between save" which is very circumstantial.

What happens is this:

I have duplicated a vocal track which I want to add a short delay to.
So I have two identical vocal tracks which would cancel out 100% if either phase reverted.

Then I pan one left and one right. ADC is (Should) taking care of maintaining the phantom in the center of the speaker.

So now I insert a delay (Waves' Delay Plus but happens with any I insert)
on the dup. Without ANY tweaking to the plug, phantom is lost and the right side is delayed. Neither bypassing or deactivating the plug can alleviate this problem.

In another scenario above worked just fine but inserting a plug-in on the master fader made the same problem appear.

Only remedy is to save and reopen the session.

In this scenario, it was pretty obvious that something was wrong but what if the scenario wasn't of such an obvious nature? Then one would insert a plug-in and mix the whole day, compensating for the ADC Bug only to come in next day (after re-opening his session) and find that the BUG had now been corrected and ADC is now behaving as it should only now it does NOT sound like it did yesterday. I have had NUMEROUS of incidents where I could swear that: "Yesterday, it did NOT sound like that." But normally the ears are to blame....

Dear Digidesign, I think that your users should be able to insert a plug-in without having to double check ADC-consistency EVERY TIME.....
Old 10-14-2009, 11:51 AM

Default Re: PT HD ADC is more of an enemy than a friend

I'm not having that issue.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:42 PM

I have had this problem since 7. It is worse in PT 8 by a milestone. We get the problem every time we duplicate a track, add a new track from audio import or just open a mixed session. It's random and annoying. Somedays it happens every frickin move, other times we go days without it happening at all! What fixes the problem for us is to "shuffle" delay comp on/off, Highly annoying with talent waiting, not to mention embarrassing as they hear the phase or super delay in the cans. Get your SH*t together AVID. Not very PRO.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:34 PM

Not happening here either...

Could you create a session using only stock digi plugins so we could try to duplicate this?
Old 10-14-2009, 03:40 PM

Yes I've had this since v8 and sometimes disabling and re-enabling Delay Compensation in the menu fixes it, otherwise sometimes making all tracks disabled then re-enabling works. Often here it is very obviously delayed about 30ms at a guess between left and right. Very irritating bug though.
PT2023.12 - Mac Studio M1 Max 64GB RAM - macOS 13.6.3 - UAD-2 Satellite Octo/Apollo 8tb Duo/Apollo 16ii/Prism Lyra 2 - Euphonix Artist Control - All the plugins(!) Waves/PA/Slate/SSL/McDSP/UAD/Kush/SoundToys/Eventide/Softube/NI/PSP/Sonible/BABY/Fabfilter/Sonnox etc.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:48 PM

Toggling Delay Comp on and off fixes the problem for me pretty much always. That has been the remedy for this admittedly annoying problem for quite a few years now.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakco View Post
Not happening here either...

Could you create a session using only stock digi plugins so we could try to duplicate this?
No they can't, because this "issue" depends on unsupported plugin versions.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:22 PM

I have had this happen on several occasions.
I have also had the ADC cause overdubs to be recorded with offsets.

Is it possible this is related to using UAD cards with protools?
I have only had this problem on systems with UAD cards installed, although sometimes with no UAD plugins on the session.

It seems like the UAD cards may be able corrupt the ADC?

I have also found that toggling the ADC or changing the delay comp settings fixes the problem.(for a while)
Old 10-14-2009, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
I have had this problem since 7. It is worse in PT 8 by a milestone. We get the problem every time we duplicate a track, add a new track from audio import or just open a mixed session. It's random and annoying. Somedays it happens every frickin move, other times we go days without it happening at all! What fixes the problem for us is to "shuffle" delay comp on/off, Highly annoying with talent waiting, not to mention embarrassing as they hear the phase or super delay in the cans. Get your SH*t together AVID. Not very PRO.
who tests this "stuff" before we buy it?

that need to be admonished,

tarred and feathered and put on disply for all to see.

Old 10-14-2009, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubtful guest View Post
Is it possible this is related to using UAD cards with protools? I have only had this problem on systems with UAD cards installed
yes