Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2008, 09:59 AM

Default Licensing Pro Tools LE on Two Computers

I have Pro Tools LE 7.4 running on my iMac at home with an MBox 2 Pro. I want to take my sessions on the road for editing. Can I install my existing Pro Tools and Ignition Pack 2 Pro CDs on my laptop running Vista and take the MBox with me or do I need to purchase a whole new Pro Tools system and hardware?

Adam
Old 01-29-2008, 10:26 AM

Default Re: Licensing Pro Tools LE on Two Computers

You can load Pro Tools on as many computers as you wish. It's the hardware that allows you to run it. In other words, you'll need to hook up your MBox to whatever computer you want to run Pro Tools on.
As to the Ignition Pack, that's a different story. Most (if not all) of the stuff included with the Ignition Pack are computer specific installs/authorizations, and thusly cannot be authorized on multiple computers.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:27 AM

Thanks for the info E.J.

Following along with the same idea, I have an iLock which I presumably could take with me that has, for example, the Joe Meek compressor and eq. I'm more concerned with xPand, BSD Lite, Structure, Reason Adapted and, most importantly, the LE 7.4 update. One way around it, I suppose, is to convert all instrument/midi tracks to audio before transferring the ptf file. What do you think?

Adam
Old 01-29-2008, 11:44 AM

"I'm more concerned with xPand, BSD Lite, Structure, Reason Adapted and, most importantly, the LE 7.4 update"

Correct me if I'm wrong.

You can use them on both if they have pc alternatives. I believe legally, you are only suppose to install protools software on one computer per license. The hardware doesn't matter. Now, of course, there is no security to lock down your pc so do what you will at your discretion. I wish they were a little more flexible, ableton live allows two computers to be legally installed on..
Old 01-29-2008, 12:14 PM

Quote:
"I'm more concerned with xPand, BSD Lite, Structure, Reason Adapted and, most importantly, the LE 7.4 update"

Correct me if I'm wrong.

You can use them on both if they have pc alternatives. I believe legally, you are only suppose to install protools software on one computer per license. The hardware doesn't matter. Now, of course, there is no security to lock down your pc so do what you will at your discretion. I wish they were a little more flexible, ableton live allows two computers to be legally installed on..
I think most other companies are that way but I'm pretty sure it's ok to install PTLE on multiple computers. This is because you can only run it on the computer that has the interface attached. Probably one of the most common uses for this is someone who uses a laptop to record live then takes it home and mixes on a desktop.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:
someone who uses a laptop to record live then takes it home and mixes on a desktop.
. . . which is the way I intend to use my two computers.

Adam
Old 01-29-2008, 11:19 PM

You can authorise 3 different installs of the IK multimedia products, so you can at least have amplitube on both systems.
MacBook Pro i7/Apogee One/Duet/ElevenR/Pro Tools 12
Preamps from UA, Mackie and Avid.
Listening through Dynaudio, Genelec and ADAM
Old 01-30-2008, 05:54 AM

Thanks, Snarf. It appears that each vendor has it's own set of rules. The plug-ins I use mostly are Xpand, Structure Free, Joe Meek Compressor and Joe Meek EQ. Looking at my list of authorizations on My Digi, I don't see any of them. I think that's because Xpand and Structure Free don't require authorizations and the Joe Meek plug-ins are stored on the iLock.

My plan is to install PTLE 7.4 on my Vista Thinkpad, try it with the plug-ins using my Mbox2 Pro, and if everything works as I hope, purchase a small Mbox for the road, maybe a mini or micro.

Adam
Old 07-24-2008, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamzapple View Post
Thanks, Snarf. It appears that each vendor has it's own set of rules. The plug-ins I use mostly are Xpand, Structure Free, Joe Meek Compressor and Joe Meek EQ. Looking at my list of authorizations on My Digi, I don't see any of them. I think that's because Xpand and Structure Free don't require authorizations and the Joe Meek plug-ins are stored on the iLock.

My plan is to install PTLE 7.4 on my Vista Thinkpad, try it with the plug-ins using my Mbox2 Pro, and if everything works as I hope, purchase a small Mbox for the road, maybe a mini or micro.

Adam
Just read your post. I have installed 7.4 on Vista........the system (vista? PT7.4?) will not recognize my Joe meequalizer license on my ilok. Were you able to use meequalizer with vista and 7.4? I had previously used 7.3 on XP. Bought a NEW disk of 7.4; NOT an upgrade; a new clean install. Can't use Meek.
thanks
ron
Old 10-24-2008, 09:50 PM

Anyone have access to their EULA? That would get rid of the question of legality completely. As I don't have PT yet, I don't have the EULA.