Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2020, 09:36 AM

Default Configuring PT & iZotope on the sound card

Using PT for video post/sound design. We have iZotope PP Suite/RX7. We're jumping between PT & RX7. Each takes over the audio engine forcing us to close one while the other works. We are working on a high-end laptop with studio speakers so no room for additional audio cards. What's the best practice, if any, to get them working simultaneously.

Thanks,

Michael
Old 09-24-2020, 09:52 AM

Default Re: Configuring PT & iZotope on the sound card

Ok this is going to sound like a weird solution but it’s the best I’ve found so far when you have 2 apps fighting for the ASIO driver.

Install the free demo for Image Line FL Studio. During installation there is the option to install “FL Generic ASIO” driver. Now when you launch PT, in the playback engine, you can choose the “FL ASIO Driver” which may require you to restart PT. Now open iZoptope RX and set it to use the same driver. Now you should be able to use both simultaneously.

Note- you’re unable to use all of your interface’s inputs and outputs when using this driver. That’s the biggest downside. The FL driver only sees 2 inputs and 2 outputs. Planning to make a video about this. Maybe I can do it tonight. This is also the method I’ve been using to playback Pro Tools sessions over Zoom calls.

Last edited by DontLetMeDrown; 09-24-2020 at 10:14 AM.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:13 PM

Use RX Monitor plugin. Setup an Aux in Pro Tools and put the RX Monitor plugin on it. Then set the RX standalone audio driver to RX Monitor.

I am fixing dialog 99% of the time, so I have the RX Monitor return Aux in PT routed to my DX bus.
Old 09-25-2020, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
Use RX Monitor plugin. Setup an Aux in Pro Tools and put the RX Monitor plugin on it. Then set the RX standalone audio driver to RX Monitor.

I am fixing dialog 99% of the time, so I have the RX Monitor return Aux in PT routed to my DX bus.
Yep. Also, set the output of the RX Monitor aux track to a bus, and set the input of each relevant audio track to that same bus. When you're about to send a clip to RX, put the track in input first (Command I or Ctrl I, depending on the platform). That way, you'll hear the audio through all its plugins. Fix, send back, Command I, and continue.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 09-25-2020, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daeron80 View Post
Yep. Also, set the output of the RX Monitor aux track to a bus, and set the input of each relevant audio track to that same bus. When you're about to send a clip to RX, put the track in input first (Command I or Ctrl I, depending on the platform). That way, you'll hear the audio through all its plugins. Fix, send back, Command I, and continue.
Nice tip!
Old 09-29-2020, 04:05 PM

WOW!! Had NO idea that's what MONITOR was. Thank you... we've got three systems and had been taking the optical out of our MacPros and converting to AES, feeding it in to our monitoring systems. This is SO much better!!

Last edited by Eric Seaberg; 09-29-2020 at 04:17 PM.