Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2015, 10:58 PM

Default 2 Mix Core cards?

I'm not exactly sure how it happened but I wound up with 2 Mix Cores. I know, weird. I have a Mix Farm as well but I'm wondering if my second core card can be used strictly for audio as is a farm card.

I have heard, anecdotally, that people have gotten away with this but no empirical evidence to be found.

Anyone have experience with this (possible) phenomenon?

Also, as I am a complete technophobe, I may seeking a tech in L.A. in the near future. Any resource for this?

Thanks!

Awe
Old 03-22-2015, 11:38 PM

Default Re: 2 Mix Core cards?

Yes you can, there is nothing different between MIX core and MIX farm, except that only core card can be used solo. You got lucky as you now have a backup, in case your core card fails. Welcome to the forum :)
Old 03-23-2015, 01:44 AM

Just remember to seat the cards in proper order. I remember that you need to have your core cards first, mix farms second, and all the other possibly older cards last. But as those are so last century, I don't necessarily remember this 100% anymore, so skim through the readme documentation.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:39 AM

yes it will be fine
goes: Core Core Farm (do you have the Ribbon Cable and interfaces)
I do some Tech work on the side or I can pass your name to some others
Do you have you have your software or are you looking for it as well also what computer are you wanting to put this in

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 03-26-2015, 11:14 AM

Thank you for your responses!

I have everything, Craig. Just got a "new" G4 dual 1 gig that will be dedicated to PT and Reason (my DAW of choice). Just installed 2 GB RAM. Have a 1622 (looking for a cheap 888/24) and have ribbon cable. I just bought a new IDE/ATA drive (hard to find!) and will install PT 6.4, Reason 3 and I'm looking to get my hands on original OS 10.3 discs on Ebay and Craigslist. My original G4 came with 10.1 (yikes!) so those are the only install discs I have. The OS on the new computer is 10.5.8, which does me no good for these applications. Also have an old Aardsync I want to run the show, timing-wise, and running all audio through a CR1604.

Looking to spend about $30 per hour for a tech. Will go $100 for 3 hrs. to get someone to sync and coordinate what I cannot with my (very) limited technical skills.

Thank you!

Awe
Old 03-26-2015, 02:13 PM

For future reference, the inexpensive IDE to SATA adaptors work in the G4's, I can't remember if you can use both nodes on the IDE cable, but a SATA drive will be fast enough to take full advantage of the G4's IDE bus.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 03-27-2015, 12:31 PM

Thank you, John ! Er, Mr. Toolbox. ; )