Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2014, 01:52 PM

Default ProTools 10 Slow Response. Won't even play 10 drum tracks without Stopping!

I am using ProTools 10 on a MacBook Pro OSX 10.8.5. LaCie 3tb Hard Drive Thunderbolt. I Have had this program over 1 year but haven't really used it (Due to lost iLok key) I finally have a project and it will barely run. I first noticed that when I go to the Audio Suite and tried to EQ in real time there was about a 2 second delay before it would respond to any changes. Then when I try to play back 10 drum tracks (Which is all I have on the session so far) It stops after 10 seconds of playback and gives me "CPU Usage is holding off USB Audio" (I am using a MBox 2 while editing). I am not new to ProTools. I have been using the program for about 10 years. This is my first experience with version 10. I have Deleted all the pref's, Shut down EVERYTHING including WiFi, Hardware buffer size and CPU Usage limit at 99%. Shut Down Spotlight....but NO Difference. After the fiasco I went through with replacing the iLok, having to pay every time I need to even Email tech support and now not being able to even use the program that I have invested so much in..I'm about done. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-07-2014, 04:03 PM

Default Re: ProTools 10 Slow Responce. Won't even play 10 drum tracks without Stopping!

Have you upgraded the Mbox driver?

Any third party plug-ins? Incompatible plugs?

How is the HD formatted?

Have you left a CPU core free for OS duties?
Old 04-07-2014, 11:00 PM

Default Re: ProTools 10 Slow Responce. Won't even play 10 drum tracks without Stopping!

I have the latest MBox 2 drivers, No incompatible or third party plug ins, the external hard drive works with every other program that I have so I'm not sure what you mean by how it's formatted and I'm not sure what you mean about leaving a "CPU Core Free" for OS Duties. If you would give me a little more info on this it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 04-08-2014, 03:23 AM

Pro Tools can be picky about HD formatting more so than some other programs. Select the HD and press cmd I. The formatting should be listed in the general properties section. You're looking for "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)"

With multi-core Mac's, you should allocate at least 1 less than the maximum no of CPU core to Pro Tools. Set-up / Playback Engine / Host Processors.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:34 AM

My HD is formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) . I changed my CPU Core Host Processors from 4 to 3. Everything is working it's just every movement I make (Adjusting EQ, changing any parameters on FX Plugins etc) are delayed and the playback studders while I'm trying to make these adjustments. If I move the mouse REALLY slow it will almost let me make adjustments without problems. I know it's not the computer because I use it for Video editing and have no problems. Any more suggestions? I really appreciate your help!! Thanks!
Old 04-09-2014, 10:11 PM

Sorry to hear that it isn't working smoothly.

I have made a video regarding system optimizations recommended by Avid for Mountain Lion. You could go through it and make sure you have made all of the required and recommended setting changes and see if that helps.

Optimizing Your System For Pro Tools
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 04-10-2014, 12:40 PM

I have done everything in your video. It still lags. I can hardly even use the EQ. It's about 2 seconds behind in response and the playback studders and pops when I try to use it. I really do appreciate your help but I have totally lost faith in Avid and ProTools. I bought my MacBook Pro and new Thunderbolt Hard Drive specifically to us in my Studio and it's turned into an incredible waste of money. Not a happy camper. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:53 PM

Do you have any other programs running while you're running Pro Tools?

If you are, try closing all programs other than Pro Tools.

And for best performance, you really don't want to have any programs running other than Pro Tools...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 04-10-2014, 06:43 PM

I have shut EVERYTHING down, Wireless, Bluetooth, all programs. Hard Drive has over 90% free space (internal and external). I have 8 gigs of RAM. No Third Party Plugins that weren't part of the ProTools install. Current drivers and optimized the computer to the letter according to directions from Avid. Ran the Mac Activity Monitor while trying to use ProTools and it shows hardly any processor use. I have 10 years of experience with ProTools and I am a computer nerd so I know the problem is not with the computer. It runs Video editing programs without any problems. I am running version 10.3.4 I am afraid to upgrade to 10.3.8 as I have been following all the issues people have been having with that version as well. This is not a problem that just developed. This is my first Project using my new version 10 of ProTools. The most frustrating thing is I can't even talk or Email Tech Support without paying them $40. Customer service obviously is not included with this product. Sorry for the attitude. I just feel like I bought a lemon and payed several thousand bucks for it. I do appreciate the input and will keep checking back. Thanks!
Old 04-10-2014, 07:29 PM

I really am so sorry that things aren't running right. How frustrating.

I do have one other thought. When the session loads, does it say that it is missing any audio files? I have seen Pro Tools get extremely sluggish if you have it searching for the audio files in the background. Could anything like that be happening?
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio