Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series

Old 01-08-2015, 02:34 AM

Default Feature request: insert mode should follow plugins targeted on screen

After all these years the feature that has been present on all non-Eucon Avid controllers is still missing. Insert mode should follow plugins opened/targeted on screen. On Command|8, Control24, C|24, Icon, Pro Control, HUI controllers insert mode is always focused on currently targeted plugin (with little red target button in plugin window corner).

Why is this so important?

Let's assume we have a very large session. Hundreds of plugins, dozens of channels. Imagine this scenario:

1. Using your mouse you open up a plugin, let's say Sansamp PSA-1, on track 59, insert slot number 10. The track is not selected.
2a. On Command8: you press F5 key - and there you have it - track 59, slot 10 plugin is on your control surface. Just 1 step!
2b. On Artist Mix, Artist Control, S3 you have to do the following (3 slow steps instead of one):
  1. Select track 59
  2. Press "Insert"
  3. Select plugin from slot 10

3. Now you look at the Pro Tools mixer and you see there is a Reverb plugin on track 58, slot 7. Let's say this track has slot 10 occupied with an EQ. We want to see that reverb on the screen and on the control surface.
4a. Command8: just 1 step - you click on the plugin using your mouse. The plugin appears on the screen and on Command8 control surface, since the surface is still in Insert mode and it follows targeted plugins.
4b. Artist Control/Mix or S3:
  1. Select track 58. Confusingly, Pro Tools automatically opens up a plugin on slot 10 (EQ plugin).
  2. Go back to insert list on the surface.
  3. Select the Reverb on slot 7.

I don't how other users approach that, but I have stopped using control surface for adjusting plugins since I moved from Control 24 and Command8 to Artist Series. It just takes too much time to find the plugin on the surface. On old controllers I didn't have to do that. It was just a matter of clicking with your mouse to open up a plugin both on screen and the control surface. It is just much faster to find a plugin on screen than on a control surface and whoever designed legacy Digidesign controllers, they knew that.
Mac Mini i7 2018,
Reaper DAW,
Presonus Faderport,
Arturia Beastep for DAW control,
Former Pro Tools HD user (from V7 until V12.6).
Old 01-08-2015, 03:42 AM

Default Re: Feature request: insert mode should follow plugins targeted on screen

I posted this on ideascale: http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/...en/145360-3779
Mac Mini i7 2018,
Reaper DAW,
Presonus Faderport,
Arturia Beastep for DAW control,
Former Pro Tools HD user (from V7 until V12.6).
Old 08-13-2015, 07:13 PM

Default Re: Feature request: insert mode should follow plugins targeted on screen

YES PLEASE! I remember getting my Avid Artist control Surfaces thinking I was going to stay away from having to use the mouse so much... but that was NOT the case... Some things are SOOO not fast or convenient or even remotely helpful on Eucon Controllers... Blows my mind... Control surfaces are supposed to help speed up workflows... not just give a cool looking way of doing things that in the end you realize slow you down.

PLEASE MAKE THIS FEATURE HAPPEN IN EUCON!
Old 08-13-2015, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milaszewski View Post
....and whoever designed legacy Digidesign controllers, they knew that.

Yes!!!
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 08-14-2015, 05:40 AM

Kyle... JC? Is this feature something that is attainable? Would this feature be very hard to implement for whatever reason or is it something that wouldn't be too hard to replicate to have it match what the old non-eucon surfaces could do?

Would be some be some moral boosts for the community to start getting some features/bug fixes that help make us more efficient every day.

Best,
-J
Old 02-17-2019, 01:52 PM

I just bought the artist mix to use with Cubase. I love the integration except for the lack of channel visibility synchronisation (a well known limitation) and the lack of this feature. I find it really hard to believe that so much effort can be put into the development of these devices, and yet vital features like this are left ignored/neglected? I just don't understand it.