Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 10-30-2013, 11:48 AM

Default Thunderbolt solutions

We are getting ready to move to an iMac or new MacPro (December) and were wondering what are the best thunderbolt solutions for housing drives in ProTools. Since our current MacPro can house 4 internal drives, we have always gone that route.

What enclosure is quiet and will be fast enough for ProTools. If we go with an iMac, it just has 2 Thunderbolt ports. Is there a specific order for daisy chaining devices such as ProTools, the external drives and external monitor(s).

Thanks.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:08 PM

Default Re: Thunderbolt solutions

I'd stay away from iMac if budget is not an issue. MP will always have that extra oomph... :)

Janne
Old 10-30-2013, 12:19 PM

I would look at JBOD cases if I was looking, maybe w/ hot swappable ability

J
ust a
Bunch
Of spinning
Disks

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

PT11 System Requirements link http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/C...m-Requirements

Thank you,

Craig
Old 10-30-2013, 12:24 PM

If I was buying, I would grab a SSD drive for work partition and large NAS for backups/storage. Having used a silent system for some time, I have hard time going to a room where I can certainly hear disks spinning around. That is awful noise now, being away from it for months.

So whether iMac or Mac Pro, grab silent stuff that are sufficient for one session. Once done, move that stuff over to some other storage and start another session on the SSD.

Janne
Old 10-30-2013, 01:19 PM

In the JBOD camp there are two silent solutions I know of (if silence is important - to me - essential) - would LOVE to see more TB options listed that I have missed!

1) USB3 bus powered cases. I run two now plugged directly into imac for best speed and have a 3rd that is an SSD drop in dock. Elegant - no, cheap - yes, flexible, yes.

2) TB 4 bay device from blackmagic http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/prod...magicmultidock - I am close to pulling the trigger on this ( bummer though -no TB daisy chain port!!!)

3) Some like the LAcie Little Big Disc (nasty fan - some buy these with spinners replace with SSD's and disable the fan) and Lacie TB Rugged (single drive only and no TB daisy chain).

4) Sonnet Echo 15 looks way promising - if and when they ever release it!!

----- past that there is any number of raid (pegasus R6 etc) and NAS devices for big storage and spinning drives (hopefully in another room ).

The availability of cool TB multiple drive cases is really low still...

----------------
Although I would like a hex core nMP even more i find no flaw with the LAte 2013 i7 imac that would warrant "stay away". Full disclosure - I bought that imac
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 10-31-2013, 05:05 AM

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_3_slot.html

This really looks like the thing to get. 3 PCIE cards and 4 2.5" hard drives in one box! Dunno about the noise tho...

CleverSounds Recording

------------------------------------------------------
OS X Mojave, Late 2013 MacPro, 6 core, 32 GB RAM, Orion Studio , PT2019.10, Slate Raven MTi, ISA428, ADL600, Distressor, Grace 501, Dimedio, Obsidian, One LA, BAC500, Harrison 32 EQ, UAD2 OCTO, Focal 6 be, Auratones...
Old 10-31-2013, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael c View Post
We are getting ready to move to an iMac or new MacPro (December) and were wondering what are the best thunderbolt solutions for housing drives in ProTools. Since our current MacPro can house 4 internal drives, we have always gone that route.

What enclosure is quiet and will be fast enough for ProTools. If we go with an iMac, it just has 2 Thunderbolt ports. Is there a specific order for daisy chaining devices such as ProTools, the external drives and external monitor(s).

Thanks.
Speed requirements for PT drives are quite trivial. Even regular standard drives have become so fast these days it's pretty much a non issue unless you use huge sampling VIs that need to load tons of gigabytes of samples when you open a session.
Disk cache pretty much enables you to work with just about any drive. Be it network based or even a USB stick.

Drive bandwidth for audio is pretty much a no-brainer these days.

SSDs are still highly cost-ineffective IMO. In film-post I need at least 1TB for just about any average film project. Much too expensive for SSDs and doesn't really make a difference when working.
Does make sense for the system drive though. Re-boots are VERY fast from SSDs.

I could be wrong here but that's at least my subjective POV.

It's ironic that Apple put so much effort in to quiet the trash can down swhen the pros are forced to connect a "forest" of noisy outboard chassis and drive enclosures that render the silent mac pro pretty much useless (at least in terms of the noise floor)

Frank.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:11 PM

Did anybody else see this yet?

http://www.magma.com/roben
Old 10-31-2013, 02:47 PM

Hey folks.

As you know, Pro-Tools has lessened the restrictions on what drives can be used to record audio…

And now, I think with PT 10 (but maybe PT11), it's possible to record directly to a NAS. I've tried a bunch of tracks in record at 48/24 to a Raid 5 NAS(Synology)and was very surprised at how efficient it was. Not sure I'm ready to give up connected drives just yet, but if you have the chance to test PT11 with a NAS, you should give it a spin. It may be the answer to drive and fan noise for you. Of course, you've got to have Gig Ethernet from start to finish, so before you do, make sure your router and all switches/hubs are GigE.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:03 PM

Anyone know of a Thunderbolt rack mount solution that has space for four SATA hard drives, and a DVD burner in the front? I'd love it if the drive bays were accessible from the front of the chassis and hot swappable. The ability to RAID two or more of the drives together would be a definite plus. Would also be nice of there was one or two external DVI connections for projectors or additional monitors as well.

I'm going to pull the trigger on the new Mac Pro as soon as it ships, but I need to send the whole package out for bid, so I need to get everything lined up ahead of time.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / HD|Native-TB / Protools Ultimate 2019.12

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One