Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2011, 10:47 AM

Default Re: PCIx in PCI slots...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firechild View Post
Have anyone tried to just cut/chop the extra "lanes" off to make the "PCI-X" hd card fit better in a tight mobo ?
What I understand the cards are PCI but for some strange reasons they used PCI-X form factor, but does it mean that the extra lanes are just dummies ?
My understanding is that you can remove the unused "Fingers" (card edge connector) with no ill effect. This will certainly devalue the card even more though. I doubt that this is "Digi approved" however or that they would even comment on the feasibility of it. I don't know anyone thats actually done this - only heard that the extra set of fingers on the card are superfluous. The fact that the cards work perfectly fine in a 32bit slot pretty much tells us that the extra edge connectors are not needed.

I wouldn't try this unless it was a last resort. I wouldn't do it to a core card. Having said that If I had a process card I wanted to use I'd get the Dremel out. The fingers should come of easily with the right tools. In an instance like this I think rather than trying to clamp the card some how and risk knocking off or damaging some fragile surface mount component I would rather have some one hold the while I buzzed the PCB off with a Dremel. Something like a japanese fretting saw would be good if you want to retain a finer degree of control and cut them off by hand. Also rather than risk cutting into the board I would cut off 90% or so of the connector off and then smooth the remaining bit of card by hand.

I don't know if I would recommend this. It's not for the faint hearted. In the time its taken to edit this pot I could have been done though.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 10-14-2011, 11:22 AM

Yes, i think you are right... maybe I shouldnt do it on a core card
The second hand value may be somewhat lower...
Actually I planned to buy a cheap Old pci-x card just to use as a trade in if there will be a new mega tdm corecard and if AVID will accept a chopped off pci-x card as trade in...is the question...
Old 10-14-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firechild View Post
Yes, i think you are right... maybe I shouldnt do it on a core card
The second hand value may be somewhat lower...
Actually I planned to buy a cheap Old pci-x card just to use as a trade in if there will be a new mega tdm corecard and if AVID will accept a chopped off pci-x card as trade in...is the question...
I'm not sure the price on process cards can't go much lower. Truthfully though the modded card might find a buyer on eBay that has the need of a card with a shorter connector. Might not be as detrimental as one would think if you could prove the card was working.The trade in question I cannot answer.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 10-19-2011, 02:39 AM

Anyone had any success with the Asus P8Z68 Deluxe? It might be dremmel time for the core card, and using one of Bob Nagy's extenders. Please let me know if I'm being silly. I've also just found out that a 2nd core card can function as a process card, so, had I bought a different MOBO, I might have had an HD3 system.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:08 AM

I just got my Asus P8Q67/2600K/HD2 PT hack together. Had to dremel my core card to get it seated. Digitest shows ok. Everything else works but PT freezes if i try over 96 voices or 2 processors. Same thing happens in PT HD8 and 10. Tried allso to change OSX from 10.6.7 to 10.7.2 but no luck.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:29 AM

Got it working! Problem was with Chimera bootloader. Downgraded it and now both PT 9 and 10 run allright with OSX 10.6.8 and 10.7.2.