Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 10-18-2016, 03:22 AM

Default Pro Tools 12.6 Blue Mode - how it works?

Just messing around trying to understand this new Blue Mode. Can't find a command to put a track into blue mode, maybe there isn't one. Also wondering if disabling plug-in delay in mix window is the same thing than "selecting auto low latency off" like it's described in manual. The manual is quite vague about this new feature. Any ideas anybody?
Old 10-18-2016, 05:51 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 12.6 Blue Mode - how it works?

I will be of no help to you... but pose another question...

I'm not sure what problem this new feature is trying to fix?? ... I've been printing stems in the box for years with zero issues... (and yes, they are in sync...)
Old 10-18-2016, 06:00 AM

I don't want to derail the OP's original question, but I've been cascading and printing stems in the box using HD|Native for a long time now. This new mode seems only to apply to HDX. Is that because HD|Native is immune to the issue this feature is fixing?
Old 10-18-2016, 06:20 AM

We are definitely derailing the OP... sorry 'bout that!!!

From what I gather, it has to do with routing... if you want to print your mix track THROUGH your stems tracks print tracks... instead of double bussing everything to a mix and a stem bus?

seems a bit overbuilt IMHO
Old 10-18-2016, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad jitter View Post
Just messing around trying to understand this new Blue Mode. Can't find a command to put a track into blue mode, maybe there isn't one. Also wondering if disabling plug-in delay in mix window is the same thing than "selecting auto low latency off" like it's described in manual. The manual is quite vague about this new feature. Any ideas anybody?
what page in the manual ... i will take a look ..

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 10-18-2016, 12:46 PM

I have been recording final mix and stems at the same time using double bussing and sometimes you don't have any sync issues, but sometimes you do. Sometimes the 2-pop is in sync in stems, but you can get several of them in final mix, so the stems are not in sync there. And all this is happening within the limits of delay compensation. I hope AVID will make some nice video explaining more how this new blue mode works. Maybe double bussing is not the way to go, but you should cascade stems, like in the picture in manual (sorry, don't have it here, can't check pga number, but it's easy to find with search of "blue mode"). And I am not even ever recording any LtRt:s anymore.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:08 AM

Maybe IMHO it's more about monitoring, rather than printing. I have been making stems in the box for a long time. and when you switch Input Monitoring on and off, to hear the difference of incoming and existing material, there clearly was a sync problems. New blue mode seems to have eliminated this problem and Input Monitored signal is in clear sync with printed stems.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artis View Post
Maybe IMHO it's more about monitoring, rather than printing. I have been making stems in the box for a long time. and when you switch Input Monitoring on and off, to hear the difference of incoming and existing material, there clearly was a sync problems. New blue mode seems to have eliminated this problem and Input Monitored signal is in clear sync with printed stems.
hmm could be... but...

If you force your stem track to compensate during record/input (control+command+ click the CMP indicator in mix window) you can kick in and out of input with no click/sync issue...

gotta be for those that must print mix through their stems... only reason I could see for it's existence...
Old 10-19-2016, 10:37 PM

For HD|Native, you have to turn "low latency off" in the mixer for all of the audio tracks that the signal cascades through, or you will get a delay. That applied to something like a master bus for dialog or music, or the stems tracks. Most of the time it's a minor delay that is barley detectible. but as soon as you put on a massive CPU hog like Penteo 7, you can see it immediately. For Native, turing 'low latency' to off for those tracks seems to solve those issues. Turning it off makes the 'cmp' indicator turn blue. Is this the feature the OP was talking about?

My understanding is that HDX had some issues with that workflow; artifacts like clicks at the punch points. 12.6 supposedly fixed that. Maybe someone using HDX can chime in.
AJA Kona LHi, Sync HD
www.ToolshedAudioPost.com
www.TheToolshedStudio.com
Certified for Dolby Atmos Home Entertainment
Old 10-28-2016, 04:57 PM

I use this feature literally every day, all day.

It was a non-issue up until 11 or 12 because PT used to automatically disable auto low latency in the instances when it should be.

All of a sudden when I jumped from PT10 to PT12 I noticed my stems and mix tracks were all out of sync when mixing. I found this fix (disable auto low latency) and it has been working every since for me...

My question now is this...

With 12.5 the disable auto low latency setting would import with the tracks when importing from a template. I just upgraded to 12.6 and it no longer imports that setting.

WWWWhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyy!!!!????!?!!!???!?!?!!??!

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page