Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 09-27-2010, 02:34 PM

Default Re: Matching Guitar Sounds - Att: Benoni

ok here is the link to download the How Audio Intro to EQ videos from Youtube. 102MB. im downloading them now to make sure they uploaded correctly. looks like a 3 minute DL, at least on my connection.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6DI8I262

Yep, they uploaded and downloaded fine. enjoy.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 09-27-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
if you got 4K laying around, grab the Mercury bundle on eBay.

If you want the VTC Professional Recording videos i got from youtube here it the link.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=28DFO3ZR

there is 20 videos, some about editing, Reverb, Nyquist theory, latency....
about 55MB, so a quick DL.

Youtube is great for free tutorials, but sometimes you have to dig through the dirt to find the diamonds.

If you want to purchase some tutorials, then I highly suggest the ones from www.Lynda.com They have a few that focus on Pro Tools. Like PT8 Essentials, and Mixing and Mastering with Pro Tools. Also http://multi-platinum.com/mpp/platinumlabs.html is good, as well as VTC and Groove3.
I have about 30 minutes left to watch on the Pro Tools 8 Essentials, great info there! Thanks for the vids, I will grab them now.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:19 PM

I know this is completely off topic but I have watched a vid that Benoni linked to and now I am having a great deal of trouble understanding the difference between an EQ and Parametric EQ. I thought I had an understanding but I was completely wrong .

I tried to find a few further videos, and one video in particular the Berklee tutor talked about a 31 band EQ, and I was thinking to myself what the hell does that have to do Parametric EQing . Isn't that just normal EQing?

And further how does PEQ work with respect to shaping guitar tones. I would like to attempt to get some guitar tones using an analyser when I can afford one. But I am way out of my depth.

Help me Obi Wan Benoni, you are my only hope!
Old 09-27-2010, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vercingetorix View Post
I know this is completely off topic but I have watched a vid that Benoni linked to and now I am having a great deal of trouble understanding the difference between an EQ and Parametric EQ. I thought I had an understanding but I was completely wrong .

I tried to find a few further videos, and one video in particular the Berklee tutor talked about a 31 band EQ, and I was thinking to myself what the hell does that have to do Parametric EQing . Isn't that just normal EQing?

And further how does PEQ work with respect to shaping guitar tones. I would like to attempt to get some guitar tones using an analyser when I can afford one. But I am way out of my depth.

Help me Obi Wan Benoni, you are my only hope!

well a PEQ is an EQ..... with total control over a tone.

This is a good explaination:

A parametric EQ is an equaliser which has controls for Frequency, Bandwidth or Q, and Gain.

http://www.astralsound.com/parametric_eq.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parametric_equalization

There are many kinds of EQ. Each has a different pattern of attenuation or boost. A peaking equalizer raises or lowers a range of frequencies around a central point in a bell shape. A peaking equalizer with controls to adjust the level (Gain), bandwidth (Q) and center frequency (Hz) is called a parametric equalizer. If there is no control for the bandwidth (it is fixed by the designer) then it is called a quasi-parametric or semi-parametric equalizer.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equalization

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 09-27-2010, 09:23 PM

If you're looking to get the PAZ analyzer, you'd be better off getting it as part of one of their bundles. It's in Silver and everything above it.

If you want a free analyzer, you can download the one from Bluecat.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:

well a PEQ is an EQ..... with total control over a tone.

This is a good explaination:

A parametric EQ is an equaliser which has controls for Frequency, Bandwidth or Q, and Gain.

http://www.astralsound.com/parametric_eq.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parametric_equalization

There are many kinds of EQ. Each has a different pattern of attenuation or boost. A peaking equalizer raises or lowers a range of frequencies around a central point in a bell shape. A peaking equalizer with controls to adjust the level (Gain), bandwidth (Q) and center frequency (Hz) is called a parametric equalizer. If there is no control for the bandwidth (it is fixed by the designer) then it is called a quasi-parametric or semi-parametric equalizer.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equalization
Aha - now it is becoming slightly clearer. I saw a number of examples of "Peaking EQ", on YouTube based around a centre frequency and saw the size of bandwidth being modified.

So the 5 channel EQ effect that we have on the 11R is an example of quasi-parametric?

But I still don't know how this helps in modelling guitar tones. Wouldn't you would need a lot more than one central frequency with a true PEQ to nail a guitars tone? None of the (P)EQ vids I saw had more than that one frequency. And wouldn't a quasi/semi, with more bands be better suited to this task?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
If you're looking to get the PAZ analyzer, you'd be better off getting it as part of one of their bundles. It's in Silver and everything above it.

If you want a free analyzer, you can download the one from Bluecat.
Thankyou. I just went to Bluecat and downloaded it. Getting it to work will be another story entirely same with the MellowMuse IR demo. I have some hair pulling days coming up .
Old 09-28-2010, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Aha - now it is becoming slightly clearer. I saw a number of examples of "Peaking EQ", on YouTube based around a centre frequency and saw the size of bandwidth being modified.

So the 5 channel EQ effect that we have on the 11R is an example of quasi-parametric?

But I still don't know how this helps in modelling guitar tones. Wouldn't you would need a lot more than one central frequency with a true PEQ to nail a guitars tone? None of the (P)EQ vids I saw had more than that one frequency. And wouldn't a quasi/semi, with more bands be better suited to this task?
If you take another look at my first post where I quote Benoni from elevenrackpresets.com, he claims that if he had a PEQ WITH Q control, he could have nailed the desired sound. SO it looks like your thought is correct.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Grab whatever you can. I use Videos some time and just delete the video track. Some time you can only grab a 5 second section that is guitar only, thats enough to get the main body of the sound. Drums, especially cymbals and vocal will screw up your read out.

You don't really have to play the same riff, or even tune the same, the minor changes in tones don't have a huge effect on the main body of sound.

I usually play the sound I'm trying to match with a PAZ on the track, then freeze it (the PAZ), then have another PAZ on the 11R track, and go from there. Use your ears too.

Now that I think of it, i grabbed the whole Intro to EQ tutorials from Youtube. So if you want all the videos I'll up them for you. its about 102MB, so it wont take long to download.
Ok so...I got Bluecat working, it was as simple as adding it as a plugin. I created a track for my guitar, an audio track for "Sleep Apnea" by Chevelle and a third audio track bussing in the first two tracks (not necessary but gives the option of analyzing both the guitar and song at the same time).

Right away got the part of freezing the analyzer at a part of the song that I am aiming for (guitar sound only), then played the same note on the guitar track, again freezing the analyzer. I then toggle between the two to see where I need to make my adjustments. Right away you see the limitations of the 11R EQ. You are not able to make ALL of the needed adjustments. This was ok as it seemed I was able to modify the guts of the sound. The frustrating part was, when I was raise the EQ to where it had to be to match the song analyzer, my guitar sound got very thin and went further away from where I wanted to be. The trouble areas were 800hz and 2khz mainly.

I am not sure if this is because I am trying to match a Mark IV sound with the M2 in 11R, the 4x12 cab (tried a few others), Bluecat is not the right tool for this or any of the other variables.

Finally when I thought I had a good sound, I had been at it for at least 2 hours and was tone deaf. Not to mention I am home sick with a stuffy nose lol, can't help matters. To make things worse for my self, after being at it for 2 hours with my Parker (EMG pickups), I then thought it would be a great idea to plug in my PRS since that's what Chevelle uses.

Now completely frustrated, everything is put away to be tried another day.

For those of you who may attempt this at any point in the future, if you think you got a good sound but want to continue to tinker, SAVE THE PATCH. I had one sound that was great but tweaked a little more and lost it.

Benoni, any other tips to add?
Old 09-28-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:

Thankyou. I just went to Bluecat and downloaded it. Getting it to work will be another story entirely same with the MellowMuse IR demo. I have some hair pulling days coming up .
we need a PEQ with at least 5 bands, i would prefer more though. With a PEQ you can control the Q of each band, unlike a normal EQ.

Think of the current EQ in 11R as all faders being connected by a string that runs horizontally through the middle of each fader. When you raise say 2kHz, you have no control over the frequencies (bandWIDTH/Q) around 2k that are also being raised. With a PEQ you can control the angle of the string. Also with a PEQ you would not be locked to 2kHz. You could choose 1.5kHz and dip it, then choose 750hz and raise it. You are not locked into certain settings. So say they include a 7 band PEG, then you can choose the 7 feqs YOU want, and control the bandwidth of each freq.

If you have not done so yet, download the Intro to EQ videos, all this is explained there. its only 102MB's
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6DI8I262

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 09-28-2010, 02:32 PM

For those who cant, or do not want to download the Intro 2 EQ videos here http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6DI8I262 , you can watch them online, or download them here as well..

Vids 1-5
http://drop.io/intro2eqyoutubevids
Vids 6-7
http://drop.io/blb9ys36896

I got these from youtube over a year ago, and since then I cant find them there anymore, and howaudio.com is no more. If you are new to EQ or Recording in general, these will help you out a great deal.

Direct link to each video from Intro2EQ
Introduction
What They Do
Different Kinds of EQ's
How to Use Them
When To Use Them
Choosing the Right EQ
Summary

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com