Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 06-11-2008, 03:47 PM

Default using MIDI interface on 002 to control a Line6 Vetta by midi

Anybody have any luck controlling a line6 vetta through the 002's midi ports, while working on a session? I can do it just fine without pro tools open but when i go to launch pro tools it says "hardware in use." If I try to connect to vetta with pro tools open, monkey and line6 edit don't recognize vetta. Any ideas?

Yes I realize that digi doesn't support Line6. I'm just looking for some friendly advice froms someone who may have tried it. My goal is to tweak patches from the control room without running a 30 ft speaker cable to the vetta in the iso booth.

I do have a midisport uno 1x1 USB audio interface that has worked wonderfully before, but it obviously won't reach 30 ft. I have 30 ft midi cables and could go buy couplers and just use the USB interface but I would prefer to consider this a last resort (simplest solution first...)

Thanks! EJ
We don't have the user centricity. Until we understand context, which is way beyond presence — presence is the most trivial notion, just am I on this device or not; it doesn't say am I meeting with something, am I focused on writing something. [LIST][*]Bill Gates .NET Briefing Day Speech (24 July 2002)
Old 06-12-2008, 10:54 AM

Default Re: using MIDI interface on 002 to control a Line6 Vetta by

I think you will need the second interface to pull this off. ProTools is taking over the ports on the 002.

While I haven't tried this exactly with the Vetta control software, I have had good luck with Cat5 to USB extensions to extend USB connections. The CAT5 Cable can be 150' long and discreetly tucked away. I got one on ebay for $19 and another from TigerDirect for $30. Both worked like a charm. You could use it to extend the midisport and dedicate it to the Vetta software. Should be good to go, though ProTools may take over both interfaces connected to the same computer. Hmmmm.

@timothyday_musicandsound
Timothy Day
Old 06-13-2008, 05:46 PM

Default Re: using MIDI interface on 002 to control a Line6 Vetta by

I appreciate your response. that's actually a really good idea. I worried that USB extensions would flake out and cause a weird connection problem.

I ended up going USB midisport uno -> coupler -> 30 ft midi cable -> vetta.

Sucks. I thought for sure that the 002 would let me use the midi ports as a normal interface. It does...just only when Pro tools isn't open =(
We don't have the user centricity. Until we understand context, which is way beyond presence — presence is the most trivial notion, just am I on this device or not; it doesn't say am I meeting with something, am I focused on writing something. [LIST][*]Bill Gates .NET Briefing Day Speech (24 July 2002)