Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2006, 12:21 AM

Default What\'s best way to hook up a turn table?

so I recently just bought a turn table and I am trying to hook it up to my m-box but I am getting a huge amount of ground noise. Whats the problem. My signal path is RCA to phono bbe preamp (not a mixer obviously) to "Tip-Common" cable that split to a Y to DI's in the M-box. HOW DO i GET RID OF THIS GROUND NOISE. It is also possible that I set up the turn tables wrong. I am very inexperienced with vinal so any comments will help even if they seem extremely obvious. Thanks
Old 01-25-2006, 03:02 AM

Default Re: What\'s best way to hook up a turn table?

Has the turntable got a ground wire? If so just connect it to a radiator or the metal casing of a piece of equipment. Ive only really had experience with Technics turntables and I know that these have ground wires.

Wes
Old 01-25-2006, 03:02 AM

I'm not familiar with the pre-amp you mention, are you using a specfic phono pre-amp?

This will be necessary to make it work. There are lots of cheap DJ mixers out there with these built in, or you can buy a preamp specifically for this. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DeeJayPre/

Hope that helps.

Founder of the Expert Sites.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:13 AM

Does your turntable have a pre-amp built in? It may, my wife bought one not so long ago which does. Check the doc's which came with it.
Old 01-25-2006, 04:43 AM

Quote:
My signal path is RCA to phono bbe preamp (not a mixer obviously) to "Tip-Common" cable that split to a Y to DI's in the M-box.
He's got the preamp (sounds like the BBE FJB200X). There are a few things to look at for this. You'll need some kind of grounding cable to take care of the noise. The BBE looks like it has the grounding post on it, so you need to either attach the ground cable attached to the turntable (as is the case with Stanton) or connect a wire between the turntable's grounding post on the one on the BBE. My PDX2000 didn't come with a grounding cable, but i used some phone wire, and it works out pretty well.

Also, if your cartridge is properly grounded, buzz should be much less of an issue.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:47 AM

So I hooked up the grounding cable and got rid of the noise. DUH. Now for another maybe less so obvious question what is the best way to record it into protools. I have it going though the DI's but that still leaves an mbox imprint (converters and sound of the preamp) is there a way to record it directly digital? maybe utalizing S/PDIF? Thanks hopefully there is a super obvious anser to this too.