Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2017, 09:19 AM

Default Importing audio through workspace volume automation behavior

While editing SFX< I generally start my sessions with a static volume all the way across, but I do so with an automation breakpoint. Mainly, so that when I bring in clips and play back, they don't play back at unity, as many SFX files are generally way too loud and I don't want to blow my ears off.

I've noticed that when I drag clips in from the workspace, it seems to write it's own arbitrary volume automation to the clips. At first, I thought maybe it had to do with my audition playback volume, but that seems to not be the case.

For instance, I have a track, with a breakpoint setting it to -10dB. My audition volume is currently set at -12.5 (it changes, but that's what it is now). When I drag the file into my edit window, PT is bringing it in with the volume automation on the track at -18.4dB. The spot on the track before dragging the file in, has a flat volume automation line before putting the clip there, though it is technically automated.

I am curious if there is a setting I am unaware of that would allow for me to import from the workspace without PT drawing volume automation on the clip automatically? Like it would just leave it as whatever it was on the track before dropping the file there? Alternatively, I would also accept the fact that it brings it in at the audition volume, but that does not seem to be what is happening.