Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 05-30-2002, 03:04 PM

Default Market prospect as producer/engineer

Hey all.
I will be attending the Berklee College of Music in Boston and dual majoring (hopefully it doesn't kill me) in Music Production and Engineering and Sound Synthesis.

I was wondering however, what's the market like for me when I get out. I personally think that i am good, really good for the little formal training that I have had in a big studio.
Will I be able to find a job? What should I be making when I get out? What's the top end of the market looking like?

I heard a rumor that Butch Vig got payed 20K for Nevermind up front, which was before Nirvana made a dent in the market. I would just really like to have a feeling for what I will be making.

I know that there is the chance that I won't be making hardly anything, as do all musicians- but what's a reasonable salery? I can't seem to find anyone around my area who owns/works at a studio who has had any formal training in recording so its hard to ask them.

Hey I also need to know this because of the MASSIVE loans I am taking out for Berklee [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

In 5-10 years after getting out of college, I plan to own my own large scale studio, which obiviously should boost my pay. Is this realistic? Please help me out!

In addition- will grad school help me out much in the recording industry? I could go and perhaps get my MBA (because its all a business) a few years after school, or work on a Masters (phd someday) in composition or film scoring. I don't know what to do.

Thanks all!
Boston, Mass
Old 05-30-2002, 04:53 PM

Default Re: Market prospect as producer/engineer

In my experience, letters after your name don't really translate to a specific salary. I personally think that an audio education at a good school is an awesome way to start a career, but it can also kill you with debt. In the 'real" world, your demo reel carries much more weight. Start working in the industry as soon as you can and decide for yourself if further education is necessary. An MBA could be a good idea, especially if you want to run your own studio, maybe you can avoid the old joke of : "How do you make a small fortune in the recording industry?"- "Start with a large one"
As for starting out, most new engineers volunteer for a period of time before they start getting gigs. Depending on the structure of the studio you are working at, you may move into a salary position or be an independant contractor and therefore setting your own prices. Your remuneration will vary widely depending on how good you are as an engineer, how your interpersonal skills are,(and maybe your promotional skills) and which studio, which city, or which country you are in. No easy answers! Good luck.
Old 05-30-2002, 09:41 PM

I wouldn't do it.

You could buy a good project studio, instead of going to school. Read some books on recording.

I've met some Berklee engineering grads. Can't say they gained any special knowledge from going to Berklee.

It's my observation that demand for music services comes from success in the charts more than any educational achievement.

I don't see why you can't do this on your own.
Old 05-30-2002, 10:09 PM

Forget school. Use the money to support yourself while you do the following (success guaranteed if you have the drive and a personality that doesn't take up too much air in the room):
1. Hang around/volunteer at the best studio(s) that'll take you. Much better than a paying job at a crappy place. Volunteer for everything. Live there. Don't talk too much and always be on time. Write down everything you see and hear and then research it like crazy on the Internet. Do this for 2 years, then:
2. Pick your 5 favorite producer/engineeers. Research their work like crazy and listen to everything they've done. Find out where they are and go there and discretely hang out and volunteer to do anything, laundry, errands, until one of them lets you. If you have to move blind to another city to do this, all the more impressive.

If that's all too intense, use the money to build a project studio and take all the spec work you can.
Old 05-30-2002, 10:20 PM

I envy you.
You can buy TDM System and build your own
studio right now with the money!!
Old 05-30-2002, 10:43 PM

Invest that money in your self. reseach everything you can. and build yourslef something to start from. an eduaction in the music industry equals nothing.
My proffessor went to school at berkely for music producion. he works at the school I work at, and go to school at. I graduated TODAY. music and audio technology. it is a cross between a tradition education in music, and then electrical engineering and computer engineering. anyhow, learning production is a part of that too. but what you really will learn, is what you learn when you are on your own. the only thing a school can offer is facilities. however, you could just invest in yourself and in four years walk away with a studio and a self motivated education, not just a slip of paper.

i built the learning facility studio a my school and it was recognized by MIX magazine in the may issue. I run the studio, scheduling, repairs, and do their production. I have a reseme of work pages long because of what I have done for this school.
however, the point of this story is that on my reseme my education is at the dead bottom. why cause it doesnt matter for **** .

and i am happy that I am done.