Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2018, 05:47 PM

Default Re: PT12 records tracks with latency.

Knowing the exact delay latency in the recording can be very useful to help guess what is causing the delay. Use timeline sample display to measure that.
Old 10-06-2018, 06:41 PM

Trashed prefs, created new click-track only session.
Here you can see a major latency issue.
Again: Monitoring is FINE.
PT is ADDING latency to the recorded material.

The bottom waveform is a bounce of the click track just so you have a baseline.
The top wave form is a recording of the click track played through speakers.
You can see how far behind it is. When I was monitoring, there was NO lag.

My playback engine settings:

Note that ALL of the settings you see in the above images are just how I had things set up under PT 11 and PT 10. Was never a problem then.
Monterey 12.6.1
Presonus Quantum 2 (Thunderbolt)
Old 10-06-2018, 11:17 PM

So your delay looks around the IO buffer size. You should be measuring that difference zoomed in on\n your screen to check or setting the time display to samples are reading off the difference in a selection length. Easy to get there with say some bus/send routing delay.

I notice the funky An12S... names for the output or bus (hopefully an output not a bus) in the IO selector. What/why is that? Can you default the IO those names to use the 003 default names to be clear what is going on.

What happens when you turn off ADC? You should not need ADC enabled in a super trivial session to get time alignment.

What is the latency delay in samples? it looks like ~the size of your IO buffer. So that's going to make me especially want to check sends/sends with hidden tracks etc.

You have low latency monitoring enabled... so you are using hardware monitoring... you are not monitoring anything though Pro Tools so please stop telling us you are not hearing latency when monitoring... but if you disable LLM you should sure hear that 1024 sample delay from the IO buffer. And the recording engine of Pro Tools should actually lay that on the disk in correct time even without LLM enabled, at least for a trivial session with no plugins or signal routing to add delays.

Just to confirm you create this session entirely new, not a copy of the current session, not a Save As or Save In, not from a template (which may be corrupted). You started with an entirely new empty session?

Test with the IO buffer to the smallest size you can run at. Confirm the delay start to go away. But that likely points to a routing issue.

There are no plugins instantiated anywhere?

There are no hidden tracks?

There are no sends?

What are all the other audio tracks doing? Start with the absolute minimal new empty session.

Please share your session somewhere. Dropbox, anywhere like that. But answer all the questions above/try all the suggestions first.
Old 10-08-2018, 05:16 PM

Ok, it looks like I've knocked this on the head thanks to some very sensible questions asked in this thread.

With playback engine set to my 003R and buffer size of 1024 samples and 24GB cache: Recording latency no longer a problem after I *unchecked* "Ignore Errors" and "Minimise Additional I/O Latency". With these checked, plugins or no (no, in my demo session case) the same latency issue occurred.

I honestly have no idea how I managed to get into a situation with this latency issue having not identified this as the problem - I swear that I had these options checked under previous iterations of PT with no probs, but memory is fallible...

I appreciate the help offered here, thankyou.
Monterey 12.6.1
Presonus Quantum 2 (Thunderbolt)