Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 01-24-2018, 02:52 PM

Default Midi "Greyed Out" on Instrument track

Hi guys,

Up until very recently I have had zero issues when using Superior Drummer 3 on stereo instrument track in Protools. My usual starting point when working is to open a new session, select stereo instrument track then from the drop down menu select SD3 from the multi channel instrument menu, then simply click and drag a groove from SD3 into Protools then loop it for ideas.
A few weeks back, I re-opened a session and noticed that the midi on the SD3 instrument track was greyed out and playing nothing back. I have never had any issues with this before and have never had to open the instrument view and ensure that SD3 is routed to a midi channel. It has always been automatic. I have checked all of my I/O etc and can not find resolution to this problem.
Any suggestions would be very cool at this moment as this is driving me nuts!!!

Thanks
Old 01-24-2018, 03:26 PM

Default Re: Midi "Greyed Out" on Instrument track

Show the "Instrument" section if your track and reattach the midi input to SD3
Old 01-24-2018, 06:47 PM

Thanks, I just had this same problem with Addictive Drums, and your suggestion solved it!!
Old 01-24-2018, 09:24 PM

Yes. Sometimes they lose their assignments. It's a feature!

Steve
Old 01-25-2018, 01:07 PM

Ok, here is something that may be of interest:
After posting last night, I have struck on the following which has resolved my problem with the greyed out midi in the idea session I'm working on. This is a breakdown of what I did:
1: Opened up the session (Superior Drummer 3 grooves already pasted into my stereo instrument track). Clips greyed out.
2: Open Instrument view on stereo instrument track "All" selected, and "Instrument 1" states SD3 is selected via midi channel 1. Clips now Blue.
3: I then created a new MIDI track (which automatically had "All" and SD3 routed to midi channel 2 in the I/O section.
4: I then dragged the clips from the stereo instrument track, to the midi track, hit play which was absolutely fine. The groove played back normally.
5: I then re-dragged the midi back to the stereo instrument track, hit playback, all ok.
6: I then saved and closed the session, quit Protools, then re-booted the session and hey presto the clips on the stereo instrument track was no longer grey and played back perfectly.
7: I then deleted the midi track I'd created, closed and saved the session and quit Protools again. Re-opened session all ok, no Greyed out midi for me!!

I have spent the day booting up old sessions where the midi was greyed out, did what I've mentioned earlier and all have since loaded up with no Greyed out midi.
I have absolutely no idea as to why this seems to have put a stop to the Greyed out midi, but it has and that is all I was concerned about.
Just thought I'd post this to see if anyone else has the same luck that I did.

Last edited by South25; 01-28-2018 at 02:58 AM. Reason: Error in step 6, "blue" should read "grey".
Old 05-19-2018, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
Thanks. I spent hours today working on a bass part using AIR Instruments Structure. I then saved it and closed Pro Tools. When I reopened Pro Tools all three of my instrument tracks were greyed out. I was about to lose my mind because I couldn't figure out what had happened, or how to fix it. Luckily, I came across this thread and was able to follow your advice which brought the track back from the dead.

MSI X99A SLI Plus LGA2011, i7 5930 3.5 GHZ 6 core 12 threads, Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4 2400MHZ, NVIDIA Quadro K2200, LG 16x Blu-ray writer, Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB SSD for OS, Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 1 TB SSD for samples, four WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 3 6Gb/s 7,200 RPM drives (audio, samples, video x 2), EVGA Supernova 750W G2 PSU, Corsair Cooling Hydro H100I V2, W 10 Pro, 4 TB WD USB3 external backup, PT 2020.5, IK Sampletank 4 Max, AIR IEP, Wavelab Pro 10, RME Fireface UFX w USB2 connection.
Old 07-08-2018, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
I was having this same issue going from PT 11 to PT 2018.4 and I am so bad at reading how to do something that I luckily found this video, cause I had no clue what you where referring to by "show the instrument section."

So for those of you who are as bad at reading how to do something like I am... Here ya go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1TBxGNI6W0
Old 07-08-2018, 07:48 PM

Great information on this thread! I’ve often wondered why exactly midi clips were grayed out. My solution has been to simply duplicate the the tracks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 09-20-2018, 01:09 AM

With the new subscription-model, you would think that basic software-functionality would not still have a nasty bug after 8 years. Work-arounds don't work with a busy TV client in the room for approvals. Especially on larger sessions with lots of VI's. I deal with it but my partner loses her mind. Whats the story?
Old 01-23-2019, 10:48 AM

Guys, I found an foolproof solution to this issue. Totally solved the problem for good.

Step One: quit protools.

Step two: buy Cubase

Step three: Learn it and use it.

Step 4: Thank me later.