Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 07-30-2003, 10:02 AM

Default Audio Units, Core Audio, and the Powercore Firewire Box

Is it a gimme that the Audio Units plugs are going to run on LE? I'm looking at ways to increase efficiency, i.e., get faster (and sound better). I'm on a TI book/002/Digimax LT system now, but am taking a hard look at the G5/Powercore/Apogee as an upgrade to the system. I think that I'm sold on the G5, pretty close on the Apogee converters, but looking at the new Powercore Firewire, I'm wondering if maybe I can double up and really get it moving along. I'm assuming that the difference, although I've never used a HD system, is going to be shocking.

So, the question is....

When Core Audio support shows up, does that make the Audio Units plugs a new option for us PTLE users?

I look at the price of a HD system versus the 002, plus a G5, plus a Powercore Firewire card, and I wonder if I'm going to have all the power that I need. Price versue performance, I looks like a good solution. Maybe add some new converters into the mix, and I have a very serviceable solution, albeit minus some of the hotter TDM plugs and the
number of voiceable tracks. A rough estimate in my head put the price tag at about 6k. Six grand I can do, 30k for a new HD system, I really can't do that.

And, as an afterthought, does Core Audio also put me into the position of being able to use Logic 6 if I'd like to?

Ok, discuss.
Old 07-30-2003, 10:15 AM

Default Re: Audio Units, Core Audio, and the Powercore Firewire Box

This has been discussed many many times. Please search before asking.
No Audio Units wont work with PTLE. Only RTAS. I don't see that changing anytime.
If powercore does RTAS, than you'll be ok/ Yes, powercore is a nice upgrade, but I didn't dog the reverb on the pci version. Everything else was high quality.
Old 07-30-2003, 08:35 PM

Using the speed of processors these days along with outboard reverb via spdif and audiosuite plugins you should be able to keep your system running as smooth as glass.
Old 07-31-2003, 12:00 AM

Audiounits will never run on LE, digidesign ProTools is proprietary software. Powercore, likewise, will also never be compatible - Digidesign makes a product known as TDM or HD which fulfills this area of the market.

Searching in your friend, try it sometime.