Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 05:25 PM
Banned

Question No RTAS to VST adapter? There must be one, really

Hello
I have many RTAS plugs ins I've purchased, but need to use them outside of Pro Tools. All of the other daws allow their plug ins to be used outside of their environment. So is there an adapter AVID has or is making despite all proprietary brick walls?
Old 11-10-2011, 05:31 PM

Default Re: No RTAS to VST adapter? There must be one, really

Not that I'm aware of. Since RTAS will die with PT10, I would not expect anyone to make one at this point.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 11-10-2011, 05:35 PM
Banned

Well then you wouldn't mind if another company like Fxpansion made one, or perhaps an AAX to VST adapter. Or do you mind? I heard that tree fall and so did others. It's a unique proprietary situation..
Old 11-10-2011, 06:41 PM

Are you assuming I work for Avid? I don't, just to be clear... so I personally do not mind if a 3rd party makes one. Whether or not AVID has a problem with this is uncertain, but I would assume that since they own the IP for the RTAS format, that they do have to approve a product that is released using that format.

Assuming AVID did approve a product like this, I don't personally think that it is a good idea financially for a developer to take something like that on at this point. Why develop for a platform that is soon to be obsolete? Add to that, your post is the first one I've ever seen asking for this... so I don't think there is much of a market for it. Most 3rd party plugins that come in RTAS format already have VST versions.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 11-10-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinsonsdca View Post
Hello
I have many RTAS plugs ins I've purchased, but need to use them outside of Pro Tools. All of the other daws allow their plug ins to be used outside of their environment. So is there an adapter AVID has or is making despite all proprietary brick walls?
Try using AU on a PC

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 11-10-2011, 07:07 PM

To be read with extreme sarcasm.

Don't we all like people that only register on this forum to complain, troll, post that they are leaving.. but wait never leaves?

And no I don't work for Avid.

Wave-T.com
Old 11-10-2011, 07:18 PM

most 3rd party plugs have VST or AU counterparts (not all but most) that you should be able to use with your iLok authorization

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 11-10-2011, 08:24 PM
Banned

Arrow Re: No RTAS to VST adapter? There must be one, really

Thanks for all the sideways answers everyone. I'm really set now
Old 11-10-2011, 09:20 PM

Well if you don't get that there's no wrapper that does rtas to vst, because a lot of plugins comes multi-format, which negates the need for a wrapper for a lot of them, then it's not our fault.

Wave-T.com
Old 11-10-2011, 09:32 PM
Banned

Manny
There is a very vocalized demand to use AVID rtas plug ins in other daws in the vst or au format. Such as the instrument expansion pack, or air effects
Interestingly:
The plug ins created by all other daws are flexible and will work in Pro Tools. But it doesn't work the other way around. Why is that?
Manny, what division of AVID tech support do you work?
Closed Thread