Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2004, 03:06 PM

Default PT Newbie: Multiple Automation Playlists Question

Just converted to PT after 5 years of Digital Performer. Is it possible to have unique automation data within each audio playlist? Seems when I create a new audio playlist, the orginal playlist's automation data is carried over. If I change the automation data within the new audio playlist, it changes my old playlist's automation data as well. Not good.
I'm looking for something akin to DP's "chunk" feature. Allowing me to create completely unique mixes with unique audio track data within a single PT session. The manual doesn't address this issue clearly.
Old 12-06-2004, 08:38 PM

Default Re: PT Newbie: Multiple Automation Playlists Question

If it's what I believe you're referring to I agree completely. Something I've always yearned for is the ability to store automation passes in the same way you store audio playlists, which could be called up independent of each audio playlist selection. Even better, how about selective coupling of an automation pass with an audio playlist selection?

The only way to achieve what you're looking for now is to save each pass as a separate audio track with its own automation data which obviously gets unweildy real fast. How 'bout it, Digi???
Old 12-10-2004, 01:18 PM

>>The only way to achieve what you're looking for now is to save each pass as a separate audio track with its own automation data which obviously gets unweildy real fast. How 'bout it, Digi???

That's what I gathered from reading the manual. A far from elegant solution.
It's not as though multiple, unique mixes within a single session is far-reaching functionality.
DP's had the feature for years.

Makes me woner how do PT users deal with submixing?
Old 12-10-2004, 01:27 PM

you could duplicate the track and make tracks you dont want to use inactive..... that would save dsp power and allow all plug-ins and routing to be kept.

no.. not elegant but a work around

Old 12-10-2004, 03:03 PM

Thanks for the input TXDigi.
Again, that seems to be the PT users manuals suggested method as well.
This becomes a cosmetic and organizational mess when dealing with say . . 20 to 30 tracks
per submix. Now a "Hide Inactive Tracks" function would be a nice addition.
Maybe I should drop by the Feature Requests forum.

For SFX submix situations, I'm finding it easier to just create a new session, bounce it's mix to disk, then import that mix back into the master session.
Old 12-10-2004, 04:34 PM

there is a 'hide inactive tracks' feature in 6.7

until you do 6.7 you can do what i did which was make a group of all the inactive tracks you are working with and use the select group clicker selection and then hide selected tracks

yes you do have to keep updating the group but it is very easy to do with the apple+G keystroke