Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 02-22-2021, 01:54 PM

Default The following plug-ins... are not valid 64-bit AAX plug-ins

Hi everyone.

I'm kind of desperate atm lol. I bought Protools on Windows (PT 2020.12.0 WIN 10 Pro 64 bit 20H2), and a lot of plug-ins can't load.
I have not connected any Apple product on my computer, have tried a couple of restarts, thrashed prefs, deleted InstalledAAX file, and nothing would work for me.

If anyone can help, I would be pleased !
Old 02-22-2021, 02:24 PM

Default Re: The following plug-ins... are not valid 64-bit AAX plug-ins

Not sure if it's the absolute reason but it has been advised that 20H2 is not currently supported.

System Requirements and Compatibility for Pro Tools & Pro Tools | Ultimate
ALERT: Windows 10, version 20H2 NOT supported with Pro Tools
Pro Tools is NOT currently supported with Windows 10 20H2.

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...m-Requirements

Glad I saw this just before getting ready to install the update.

Last edited by take77; 02-22-2021 at 03:16 PM.
Old 02-22-2021, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Miourson View Post
Hi everyone.

I'm kind of desperate atm lol. I bought Protools on Windows (PT 2020.12.0 WIN 10 Pro 64 bit 20H2), and a lot of plug-ins can't load.
I have not connected any Apple product on my computer, have tried a couple of restarts, thrashed prefs, deleted InstalledAAX file, and nothing would work for me.

If anyone can help, I would be pleased !
When I've encountered this what worked for me is to remove the problem plugins from the AAX folder and put them temporarily in a folder on the desktop. Reopen Pro Tools and after it's opened normally replace the problem plugins back into the AAX folder. Usually Pro Tools will then scan them properly. It's been a while since I ran into this but if I remember correctly I would occasionally have to repeat the process to get it straightened out but I was always able to get up and running again with this method. Hopefully it will work for you.

For what it's worth, I've been running PT Ultimate on two different rigs with 20H2 for a while and have had no problems.
Windows 10 Pro
HD Native PCIe
Lynx Aurora with LT-HD
Apogee
Mytek
Old 02-22-2021, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Not sure but it has been advised that 20H2 is not currently supported.
I will try to get an older version of Windows to see how it goes. I'm not sure it will work tbh, seems odd to me.

Quote:
When I've encountered this what worked for me is to remove the problem plugins from the AAX folder and put them temporarily in a folder on the desktop. Reopen Pro Tools and after it's opened normally replace the problem plugins back into the AAX folder. Usually Pro Tools will then scan them properly. It's been a while since I ran into this but if I remember correctly I would occasionally have to repeat the process to get it straightened out but I was always able to get up and running again with this method. Hopefully it will work for you.
Unfortunately I already tried this before and it had not worked for me Trust me I've tried any method already posted on duc
Old 02-22-2021, 03:06 PM

As I've suggested in other threads about this. I would be contacting the plugin vendors. If only because I suspect they may be more responsive than Avid (which may not be saying much).

I suspect (==guess) this is an issue related to plugin code signing somewhere between Avid, iLock aka Pace, and the plug in vendors. It's not literally that Pro Tools things the plugin is not 64-bit.

And as stupid as it seems just getting on a supported Windows version will stop support folks assuming that is the cause in your case.

Beyond that I'd move all .aaxplugin files out of the plugin folder and let Pro Tools automagically put back it's standard ones and then try adding back the plugins you really need and only those plugins. Maybe trying the very latest installers from those vendors.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 02-22-2021 at 05:21 PM.
Old 02-22-2021, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Miourson View Post
I will try to get an older version of Windows to see how it goes. I'm not sure it will work tbh, seems odd to me.

Unfortunately I already tried this before and it had not worked for me Trust me I've tried any method already posted on duc
Oh well. Yeah, I see several very similar threads about this. Hopefully the magic answer will appear in this one! Good luck with it.
Windows 10 Pro
HD Native PCIe
Lynx Aurora with LT-HD
Apogee
Mytek
Old 02-22-2021, 06:48 PM

FWIW, I also run WIN 10 Pro 64 bit 20H2 with a Presonus Studio 1810C interface with essentially zero issues. The only times I ever see that message for plugins is if they came from a source other than the actual company. Example: I'm in a hurry, so I google "plugin download"(where "plugin" is the name of the plugin) and a download link comes up that is from some 3rd party(not always easy to spot). Those often download and install fine, but throw that very message. And, sometimes a full restart of the computer will solve it.

So, things to try:
1-check your licenses to make sure you have the authorization in place.
2-go directly to the plugin maker and download from them(and make sure you get the latest version as sometimes they get listed in an odd order)
3-make sure (when you install the plugin) you do select the AAX64 version.
4-maybe give us a list of the plugins that are failing to load(it helps if others can check those exact plugins). I say this because all of my plugins are working fine and I have a metric ***ton of them

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-22-2021, 07:27 PM

For what it's worth, in my case when I've experienced this it's almost always with Izotope plugins installed through their product portal. I just looked up an old support email and found something that may be of interest. The customer service person said this can happen when there is a missing or corrupted component from the aaxhook folder. The folder should have a dll file and an aaxhook file. They suggested reinstalling through I don't remember that being a reliable fix for me. I don't know if other companies' plugins rely on this aaxhook configuration. Maybe it's a clue, maybe not?
Windows 10 Pro
HD Native PCIe
Lynx Aurora with LT-HD
Apogee
Mytek
Old 02-22-2021, 11:41 PM

I'm getting this with Lexicon's PCM FX, albeit on a Mac (Catalina), but it's the same message and for all I know a similar issue.

Downloading the latest installers from their site and attempting to run them, the computer honestly suggests that I not only quit the program (because it won't run) but that I also eject the installation media too. I've rarely experienced such animosity from an OS.

The kicker is that these plugins worked fine under Catalina, until PT decided to scan my plugin folder from scratch and upon examining these FX it said, "huh-uh!" and they've not worked since. Lexicon doesn't respond to tech questions.
Old 02-23-2021, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
So, things to try:
1-check your licenses to make sure you have the authorization in place.
2-go directly to the plugin maker and download from them(and make sure you get the latest version as sometimes they get listed in an odd order)
The times I've had this issue were when I get a new plugin to trial. The last couple of times it was with plugins from Plugin Alliance. For single plugin trials I direct download from PA and not through their installation manager. Select all plugin formats for installation. When I start PT it goes through it's normal thing and when it gets to the new plugin PT usually puts up a window from PA that says there's no license and would I like to start a 14 day demo. I select the demo, computer does it's thing and life goes on.

Sometimes PT throws up the 'this is not a valid 64 bit plugin' message because it got out of sequence missing the above authorization. I elect to not put the plugin in the unused plugins folder and let PT finish starting. I then select to add the new plugin on an insert and I get the business mentioned above. Thereafter no problems.

Other times I get the message is because while the vendor has deposited the license asset in my iLok account it's not on my iLok. So from my point of view I'm thinking this is a licensing issue. Keep in mind I'm on a Mac.

QAPLA!