Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2011, 10:21 AM

Default missing files

hello
i'm using protools 8.0.4 in win 7 64 bit and having weird issue about files being saved in other location (c: in my case) than where the session is, so after i save a project, lets say named "protools 1" in path e: , i get the project with his files in that spot, but some files are located in the c: path under the folder name "protools 1" , and inside there is a folder of audio files or fade files , which are missing while attempting to open that project again( from priginal place in e:), and then i have to relocate them if i want the session to play corectly

any idea why is it happening ???
Old 03-26-2011, 10:32 AM

Default Re: missing files

I had the same problem few month ago before I switch to Mac.
I don't know why PT does act like that.
Instead of relinking the files it's better to move the missing file from the newly created folder into the Session Audio Files folder.
It's easier if you wanna export your whole session to work on it on another Protools system.
I think now, it's safe to check the Disk Allocation before beginning any new recordings.
I haven't read all the threat in the forum but I think you're the first who mentionned it. I didn't because I thought I made a mistake during a couple of session but thanks to showing me I'm not MAD !
By the way it hasn't happened since I work with Protools 9 !
DIY Intel Core 2 Quad, P5B Premium,DDR2 6GB, Win 7 Ultimate.
PTLE 8.0.4
002R Unit and MBox Mini
SSL XLogic Alpha Channel.
SPL Goldmike valve Preamp.
DBX Analog Compressors, Gate and Eq.
Monster Cables
Home made & Neutrik Patchbay.
Brauner, Shure, Seinnheiser and T.Bone mikes.
Tannoy 8D Active monitors.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:44 AM

tnhx man

i will check the disk allocation, but i dont see any reason why it will send some files to other path.

i am doing what you'v recomanded me to do, i remove the files from the c: path and putting them back to their original place, but hey.. this is 2011 now, super tecnology is in the air.. i'm not suppose to work for the computer, it should work for me.. i'm thinking of instaling the upgrade to 8.0.5 but i'm also afraid to do so coz who knows what other problems will accur after upgrading..

any other sugestions will be blessed.

thnks
Old 03-26-2011, 11:11 AM

I know what you mean, we shouldn't have to do this workaround. You should check on the update info if , maybe, this issue has been solved...
I was wondering...Have you used some recovery sessions? Maybe this problem occurs when we use it!...I don't know! Or maybe it happen after a crash...There can be so many possibilities that induced that problem!
DIY Intel Core 2 Quad, P5B Premium,DDR2 6GB, Win 7 Ultimate.
PTLE 8.0.4
002R Unit and MBox Mini
SSL XLogic Alpha Channel.
SPL Goldmike valve Preamp.
DBX Analog Compressors, Gate and Eq.
Monster Cables
Home made & Neutrik Patchbay.
Brauner, Shure, Seinnheiser and T.Bone mikes.
Tannoy 8D Active monitors.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:02 PM

ok. been looking for the disk allocation and found that all files are being direct to the name of the project but in a different path. very strange. but i think that it only appears in my old sessions, the ones i had on my older computer and my protools 8.0.3(i just upgraded both) . now when i open a new session, the files are going to the right place.
so what i need to know now is if there is any way to direct all sessions to the right place for saving files(without doing it manualy on every single session) ? its strange coz protools creats a folder named by the session but in different place . instead of saving files at E:\Protools session\music1 . it just creats folder on C:\music1 and keeps the new files up there

thanks for the advice about the disk allocation , one step is done