Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2010, 10:07 AM

Default Re: About good Venue development ideas and how they can die in Ideascale

Quote:
Originally Posted by digidesigner View Post
Yes you are absolutely right, for some they are important, mainly for the top 20 touring acts in US I believe. I'm not talking only behalf of myself but for a bunch of people I have sold these consoles to or behalf of people that have chosen something else as the features have not been there or there are unnecessary restrictions that are not hardware limited, like 18 track limitation on FireWire recording - M7's can be bought for much less than SC48's and can be used to record all the 48 inputs. I personally have not seen a person who would have said "Oh this thing only has 24 auxes - I cannot live with that". Of course that does not mean someone does not need more, but there are simple things that can be "fixed" with existing products to have more people interested and more cash flowing in for Avid to get things going better. You probably missed the fact I'm working with the reseller. Also I'm trying have this conversation going as this forum needs to liven up a bit :)

Sheldon, nice to see you are checking things out, sometimes it seems Avid guys hang around Gearslutz and ProSoundWeb more than they do on the DUC

I believe you may have misunderstood my post...I was taking nothing away from the very valid requests you had made in previous posts but was just saying there are other feature requests that are considered even more important for other potential buyers. That's what's cool about the Ideascale site it allows everyone to chime in on what's important to them.

sidenote: Having 24 discrete stereo outputs would make my life a lot simpler. On a typical weekend I run 12 to 14 stereo IEM mixes and 2 to 3 wedge mixes and we are not a national touring act.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:37 AM

Default Re: About good Venue development ideas and how they can die in Ideascale

http://avid.venue.ideascale.com/a/dtd/26476-5162

An option to Separate Gain/HPF/Pan from fader flip. Closed for some reason. Any idea why?
Old 10-20-2010, 09:23 AM
Avid

Hi,

There were multiple similar ideas, which were all merged into a single thread: http://avid.venue.ideascale.com/a/dtd/17452-5162

When ideas are merged their individual votes are also combined, which often increases the idea's overall score.

Sheldon
Old 10-20-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Yes you are absolutely right, for some they are important, mainly for the top 20 touring acts in US I believe. I'm not talking only behalf of myself but for a bunch of people I have sold these consoles to or behalf of people that have chosen something else as the features have not been there or there are unnecessary restrictions that are not hardware limited, like 18 track limitation on FireWire recording - M7's can be bought for much less than SC48's and can be used to record all the 48 inputs. I personally have not seen a person who would have said "Oh this thing only has 24 auxes - I cannot live with that". Of course that does not mean someone does not need more, but there are simple things that can be "fixed" with existing products to have more people interested and more cash flowing in for Avid to get things going better. You probably missed the fact I'm working with the reseller. Also I'm trying have this conversation going as this forum needs to liven up a bit :)

Sheldon, nice to see you are checking things out, sometimes it seems Avid guys hang around Gearslutz and ProSoundWeb more than they do on the DUC
"digidesigner"
I think your concept of the size of the touring market is a bit off. I've been carrying Profile's for years, and believe me, I'm nowhere near the "top 20" acts in the industry. I've carried Venue systems on "bus & trailer" club tours on up to multi-truck arena and ampitheatre tours , and there are MANY out there like me. Speaking as a representative of that world (a BIG part of Avid's market), the only one of your 14 ideas I cared much about is "better snapshot management" and I wouldn't do it the way you suggest. Conversely, the ideas you denigrate at the top of the ideascale page are very high on my personal list of desired upgrades/updates. Yes, I want more aux busses, Yes, I want Smaart integration, and plenty more.

Its a bit insulting to everyone that you think your ideas are so much more important than those that have gained popularity in ideascale. Sheldon and the good folks at Avid have created a pretty democratic and helpful place to share ideas, so if your ideas are strong, they will gain traction. If they don't, don't go crying about it trying to start a new forum.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Lind View Post
"digidesigner"
I think your concept of the size of the touring market is a bit off. I've been carrying Profile's for years, and believe me, I'm nowhere near the "top 20" acts in the industry. I've carried Venue systems on "bus & trailer" club tours on up to multi-truck arena and ampitheatre tours , and there are MANY out there like me. Speaking as a representative of that world (a BIG part of Avid's market), the only one of your 14 ideas I cared much about is "better snapshot management" and I wouldn't do it the way you suggest. Conversely, the ideas you denigrate at the top of the ideascale page are very high on my personal list of desired upgrades/updates. Yes, I want more aux busses, Yes, I want Smaart integration, and plenty more.

Its a bit insulting to everyone that you think your ideas are so much more important than those that have gained popularity in ideascale. Sheldon and the good folks at Avid have created a pretty democratic and helpful place to share ideas, so if your ideas are strong, they will gain traction. If they don't, don't go crying about it trying to start a new forum.
"Brent Lind"

Aren't you overreacting a bit? Insulting to EVERYONE? Starting a new forum? Ideascale is the NEW forum, this is the OLD forum that is pretty much dying out. I'm not here to insult anyone, just to bring up some discussion and you Sir, are proving my point that old school US users would like to keep things the way they are and cannot see anymore that there are small issues that could be solved pretty easy. Lets face the facts more than 24 auxes and smaart integration is not among the easy ones and will probably never happen on current hardware.
Also, I love VENUE's. I own one and I work on all the versions out there right now, but still sometimes working on Yamaha's I can do some things faster. Same speed could be achieved with some of the ideas I brought up in the thread (that actually are not all mine at all). Then again some people don't care about the working speed cause they have made the good sound a long time ago and just sit back and relax behind their fancy desks
Old 10-20-2010, 03:23 PM

I think I ended up on the wrong website... can someone tell me how to find the DUC. This reminds me of the old threads over at PSW.

Everyone (yes everyone) needs to keep in mind that to each person their ideas and concerns are the most important. We are all here to pass on requests/ask questions and learn something.

I'm a bit puzzled though about Digidesigner's comment about the DUC dying out. I still find useful information on here?? Perspective is an interesting thing I guess
Old 10-20-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
"Brent Lind"

Aren't you overreacting a bit? Insulting to EVERYONE? Starting a new forum? Ideascale is the NEW forum, this is the OLD forum that is pretty much dying out. I'm not here to insult anyone, just to bring up some discussion and you Sir, are proving my point that old school US users would like to keep things the way they are and cannot see anymore that there are small issues that could be solved pretty easy. Lets face the facts more than 24 auxes and smaart integration is not among the easy ones and will probably never happen on current hardware.
Also, I love VENUE's. I own one and I work on all the versions out there right now, but still sometimes working on Yamaha's I can do some things faster. Same speed could be achieved with some of the ideas I brought up in the thread (that actually are not all mine at all). Then again some people don't care about the working speed cause they have made the good sound a long time ago and just sit back and relax behind their fancy desks
It is insulting when you go on about how US market and touring users are complacent or "old school" (whatever that means). As if your personal needs for the console are somehow more valid. Whatever gave you the impression that I don't want the platform to advance? I assure you, as a daily user, I have a long list of features I'd like to see, and its a good bit more than aux busses.

At the end of the day, I don't have a problem with you throwing out ideas you'd like to see advanced. I respect your efforts. But you can get off your high horse, there are plenty of users in the US and in touring that don't fit your stereotype. If you think touring audio is simple, you are sadly mistaken. Tour audio continues to drive console innovation across every market, and the input from touring engineers carries appropriate weight at Avid and elsewhere, whether you agree with it or not.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:37 PM

Okay, I think this thread has gotten waay off topic. Let's please stick to console related issues.

| VENUE Profile 96X64 with MADI Option | ProTools 7.4.2 HD3 Accel PCI | ProTools 10 Native | MacBook Pro 17" OS 10.7.1 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 8GB Ram | Mbox 2 Pro | Mbox 3 Pro | Motu 896mk3 Hybrid |
Old 10-20-2010, 10:31 PM

Ken, good advice as usual.

In the spirit of reconciliation, here's a few thoughts on updates possible within the current hardware.

A)as mentioned - BETTER SNAPSHOT MANAGEMENT - my problem with the color coding idea is that color coding is already built into the use of snapshots. What I would enjoy is a subfolder hierarchy. I have tons of snapshots that are used only occasionally, and it would be great to bury them in a folder and not have to scroll through over 100 to find the 30 or so I'm using in a given week. Additionally, some kind of Master-Slave snapshot system could be great, with "sub-snapshots" inheriting certain behaviors.
I would also love a "category" system, if I could define a handful of categories, and apply edits to them, that would really streamline my programming.

B)Higher functionality in the Offline editor - flip to faders would be huge, offline plugin edits would be great (is this a licensing issue? I'm happy to plug my iLok into the laptop)

C)Could it be feasible to have the option to link programming to an output by name, rather than the actual Aux number? Meaning, say you've built tons of snapshots but you need to rearrange your outputs, say if a wedge player switches to ears, or you add a player and need an open stereo pair, or whatever. The stereo pair called "johnny's ears" moves from aux 1-2 to aux 9-10 - currently there is no way to link the programming to that name, as it only exists with respect to the actual aux bus.

....And digidesigner, no hard feelings. After all, you did say you wanted to the forum to get livened up...:)
Old 10-21-2010, 07:25 AM

Maybe this is what you were getting at, Brent...but I would like to see a "library" where you can archive Snapshots and always hold on to them When I use snapshots, I like to keep it clean...and not have EVERY single snapshot I have stored on the system hanging out in the Snapshot window.

I agree with the offline editor. Still, I am baffled by the standalone software is not able to make live changes to the console. But, I can understand that IF AVID was to offer that option, I am sure support would be uinundated with more and more phone calls. As far as the plug-ins go...although I am not positive on the reasoning for not being able to edit the parameters, but maybe it has something with the DSP cards. Surely, though...it should be easy enough to sub the DSP's with the ciomputer's processing just for a standalone software situation.

| VENUE Profile 96X64 with MADI Option | ProTools 7.4.2 HD3 Accel PCI | ProTools 10 Native | MacBook Pro 17" OS 10.7.1 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 8GB Ram | Mbox 2 Pro | Mbox 3 Pro | Motu 896mk3 Hybrid |