Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2005, 08:19 AM

Default Re: NIN Venue System

I saw NIN in Atlanta last nite. Stood next to FOH the whole evening. The Venue looked sweet. I saw one at NAB, but seeing it in action was cool. NIN's engineer made use of the Line6 delay and Purple Audio 1176 plugs. Most of the nite Trent's channel strip settings were on the screen. The show was awesome and the sound was the best I've heard in smaller venue. No real technical problems other than Trent's mic not working on "Closer" the first time around. Probably cause he threw it at the end of the song before it and trashed it. Looked like they were recording into Pro Tools on a Powerbook, too.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:25 AM

I saw NIN @ Provinssirock couple of days ago. I made a small page with some pics of the FOH.
http://www.hot.ee/digidesigner/ninpage.htm
Old 06-22-2005, 10:31 AM

Thanks for the pix and the play by play - that was really cool to read and see! I keep looking through the live sound rags to see when the tech specs from this tour pop up - but so far nothing about NIN or Soundtribe Sector Nine - The only 2 (relatively) big shows I've seen thus far w/ a Venue...
Old 06-22-2005, 12:00 PM

Thanks for the pics.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:07 PM

FYI: The new "ProSound" has a cool article about the tour... finally!
Old 06-25-2005, 06:42 AM

Quote:
FYI: The new "ProSound" has a cool article about the tour... finally!
is this available online as well? I looked at prosoundnews.com but there is nothing there...
Old 07-09-2005, 01:22 PM

I believe it's politically correct not to say anything in the elite circle
Old 07-11-2005, 09:15 AM

So now everyone knows that the show file did not load right? So, the crew did not verify that they console did not load.
Old 09-30-2005, 05:12 PM

hmm.. this is ironic that this is on here. heh heh. The company I work for is Providing NIN with there sound system... They have 2 Venues on there tour.... the first 2 ever made acctually. And i do find it wierd that they would use a windows bases computer with such a clutch type of event like a live concert. They only problems I know of that went wrong wiht this tour so far was that the drummer pasted our on stage in the first show durring soundchecks... and they have to cancel that show and the next. Now they are auditioning a new drummer for there remaining shows.

Anyways... I hear that the venue boards are really nice and futuristic looking.. but it takes a bit to get used to.

Cya

Jonny

Proud Employee of Firehouse Productions

P.S. don't quote me on anything...
Old 10-01-2005, 01:00 PM
Avid

Hi Jonny,

Good to see some production folks here on the DUC. I met with NIN's Jim Warren (FOH) and Mike Prowda (Monitors) yesterday and they're both getting along very well with the consoles. They particularly like the plug-ins and Pro Tools recording features. Jim's recently become fond of the McDSP plug-ins, and uses their multi-band comp and Digidesign's Impact across the Mains to create a very powerful, well-controlled mix. The only additional outboard gear being used at FOH is a Tube Tech limiter on Trent's voice.

As you mentioned a few shows have had to be cancelled due to health problems with the drummer (more info on NIN's website). To help the replacement drummer rehearse Jim took a recent show that had been recorded to Pro Tools using VENUE's HDx option, created a mix with all instruments except drums, and played it back for the drummer to play along to. This allowed the drummer to learn the exact arrangments without the rest of the band having to spend all day in rehearsal while the drummer came up to speed. The rest of the band came in at the end of the day, played through the set once and it sounded great!

Sheldon