Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 08-22-2003, 03:10 PM

Default How do you set up bounce back?

Pardon me if I dont get my question out clearly enough. I had an engineer in my studio the other day that was "bouncing back" he said into pro tools. I am not sure how he set this up and I should have asked him but I was pre occupied in my other studio. He was using my outboard equipment (ex. 480L, M5000, PCM 90) inside of pro tools I think on aux channels. I dont have anything digitally hooked up. All my outboard equipment is normalled at the patch bay. So I think he patched the equipment into a tape SEND at the patch bay but what I cant figure out is how did he got that to an aux track and then sent to it? Its probably allot easier if you digitally hook everything up but I have heard some bad things about doing this.
Can someone tell me how this is done because this would be much easier for re-calling mixes.

Thanks in advance,
Benjiman
Old 08-23-2003, 09:33 PM

Default Re: How do you set up bounce back?

If I'm understanding your question properly, it's a pretty easy setup.This process does add about 6ms delay to the signal, which should be fine for delays and verbs.
1- Either choose a send on each track or buss several tracks to an Aux track and select a send on this track.
2- The output of the send (flip menu) goes to an undused I/O (well, just the "o")
3- Route that signal to your outboard FX (via patchbay or other means)
4- The output of the outboard FX goes back to an unused PT input. (could be the same one used for the out in step 2)
5- Set up another AUX selecting this input as the IN to the AUX
6- Set the output of the aux to wherever you like.
Hope this helps
BTW you can also use Inserts to send to outboard Comp or gates. (be carful though with Phase Cohearent tracks)
Old 08-25-2003, 01:43 PM

Default Re: How do you set up bounce back?

Very nice! Exact answer I was looking for. Thanks and I will try later today.