Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2008, 12:34 PM

Default Workspace Slowness!!!

Is workspace slow to you guys like me? I get the Rainbow of death everytime I click on anything in there. Makes me not want to use it at all. It doesn't quit or anything but, it is very very slow.

Thanx

Marc
New System: Macbook Pro M1 Max/16 gigs of Ram/Monterey/3 UAD Quad Satellites/2 PCIe Quad UAD cards/Waves Digigrid/Antelope Zen Pro/OWC 3 Slot Thunderbolt PCIe unit/Over 1400 plugins (Beta Tester for 15 different companies)

YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaZYp2wNomc
Old 09-21-2008, 04:31 PM

Default Re: Workspace Slowness!!!

Normally, workspace shouldn't be slow. I recently had a drastic sluggish response in workspace with the spinning beachballs, and traced it down to a connected drive that was having directory problems.

Run Apple Disk Utility's Verify Disk / First Aid on all of your drives to see if there are any problems, and fix as needed.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:09 PM

Double that quote and do a pref and database trash.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:06 PM

Thanx Guy's. I'm going to do that now. This is the first time I'm even using the Workspace thing as I want to try it out and see what all it can do as I've heard sooo much about it. It's just the last time I wanted to do this, it just seem like it was sooo slow before but, I didn't want that to stop me from trying this time. Is there anything I should know before getting into Workspace?

Thanx... I'll report and try to find a cure if this doesn't work.

Marc
New System: Macbook Pro M1 Max/16 gigs of Ram/Monterey/3 UAD Quad Satellites/2 PCIe Quad UAD cards/Waves Digigrid/Antelope Zen Pro/OWC 3 Slot Thunderbolt PCIe unit/Over 1400 plugins (Beta Tester for 15 different companies)

Old 09-21-2008, 07:27 PM

By the way, Do you guys have problems with Disk Utility and it taking a longtime to start doing it thing. Never had that problem running in 10.4.11. Ever since I upgraded to Leopard it has been slow as well....

Thanx

Marc

Old 09-21-2008, 07:57 PM

Trashing the pref's did the trick. Wow, works much much better and sooooo much faster. WOW, 99.9 percent change.

Thanx Guys... That's why I come here... You guys are the best.

Marc

Old 09-21-2008, 10:39 PM

At least to me, it sounds like you're on the right track, just might try the www.deshaies.com free application once and see if things work faster. Don't forget to empty the trash and reboot. YOu will loose your preferences if you've set any, but it's no big deal, VS. a crummy running system. Workspace should move Ok if you have a Mac Pro with 5 GB RAM.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Goldberg View Post
At least to me, it sounds like you're on the right track, just might try the www.deshaies.com free application once and see if things work faster. Don't forget to empty the trash and reboot. YOu will loose your preferences if you've set any, but it's no big deal, VS. a crummy running system. Workspace should move Ok if you have a Mac Pro with 5 GB RAM.
What is that program? It keeps sending me to some other website.

Marc

Old 09-22-2008, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Goldberg View Post
It's www.jcdeshaies.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
What is that program? It keeps sending me to some other website.

Marc
It's a simmple application that trash pref and databases for you so you don't have to go serching trough all your drives, preference folder, application support folder. It will also allow you to backup one set of preferences so you don't have to reset everyting after you trashed them.

JC
Old 09-23-2008, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC925602 View Post
It's www.jcdeshaies.com

It's a simmple application that trash pref and databases for you so you don't have to go serching trough all your drives, preference folder, application support folder. It will also allow you to backup one set of preferences so you don't have to reset everyting after you trashed them.

JC
thanks JC,

I was out of commission for a couple of days.