Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2019, 11:21 AM

Default Re: CPU overload with Native Instruments

After many many years on PT 10 with HD Accel cards, I am trying to find a new landing point to gain Freeze/Commit feature and use newer VIs and Native Plugings. However, I can’t make Pro Tools HDX usable on Pro Tool El Capitan upward due to AAE-9171 Error/Halts, believe me I have tried, I can work with PT 12.8.1 on Yosemite, but some VI are a problem in Yosemite. Sounds like VEP might be a good solution for VIs!

I am trying to understand the flow of VEP... is it an Ethernet connection between computers to pipe midi and audio back and forth?

Any issues going the same for Guitar Simulators such as Helix and Positive Grid Bias?

Is there a way to do this with PT10 HD as the DAW or is that too old?

I am ready to ditch Pro Tools HDX. It has been a really bad experience!
Old 01-29-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howardk View Post
After many many years on PT 10 with HD Accel cards, I am trying to find a new landing point to gain Freeze/Commit feature and use newer VIs and Native Plugings. However, I can’t make Pro Tools HDX usable on Pro Tool El Capitan upward due to AAE-9171 Error/Halts, believe me I have tried, I can work with PT 12.8.1 on Yosemite, but some VI are a problem in Yosemite. Sounds like VEP might be a good solution for VIs!

I am trying to understand the flow of VEP... is it an Ethernet connection between computers to pipe midi and audio back and forth?

Any issues going the same for Guitar Simulators such as Helix and Positive Grid Bias?

Is there a way to do this with PT10 HD as the DAW or is that too old?

I am ready to ditch Pro Tools HDX. It has been a really bad experience!
You can run vepro on the same machine. No need for separate computer. That's what I do. It's a virtual network connection. Syncs and delay compensated within protools. Works great in 10hd. Also great in ultimate.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arche3 View Post
You can run vepro on the same machine. No need for separate computer. That's what I do. It's a virtual network connection. Syncs and delay compensated within protools. Works great in 10hd. Also great in ultimate.
Please tell me more about your setup and workflow when you have a chance. (Computer/Hardware OS/ProTools Versions etc...)
Thanks!

Last edited by Howardk; 01-29-2019 at 07:20 PM.
Old 01-30-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arche3 View Post
Thanks for sharing. Sounds good. So if you see my setup, you would also put VEP on my mac pro 6.1 and leave Macbook pro out of the loop?

My setup
Pro Tools 2018.12
Mac Pro 6.1 (refurbished) 64 GB RAM 10 core xeon 3 Ghz / OS 10.13.6
MacBookpro 16 GB RAM /quad core 2.3 Ghz i7 / OS 10.13.4
UAD Apollo 8 / UAD satellite /
Kontakt Library on external SSD
Audio + Pro Tool session on external SSD