Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 01-28-2021, 03:32 AM

Default Bug of the week: HDX offline bounce different from online bounce

In the next episode of this epic thriller I made a fool of myself once more using Pro Tools for providing offline bounced mixes back to production.

The problem became apparent after bouncing some mixes in offline mode. The stereo image came out distorted and some elements seemed missing.

After hours of troubleshooting on the session, we were able to pinpoint the problem to a side-chained Dyn3 Gate/Expander that was dropping the right channel in offline bounce mode. Mind you that in online bounce it behaves just fine, no problems there!

I reported the bug to AVID.

It seems related to another bug I reported a while ago, where the right channel was also dropped in Input Monitoring mode.
There seems to be something wrong with their mono/stereo routing through plugins at various spots in the program.
Old 01-28-2021, 04:10 AM

Default Re: Bug of the week: HDX offline bounce different from online bounce

Which PT version?
And is it different in older/newer versions?

I (almost) never have any offline bounce issues. And I phase null check on a regular basis. Only major issue I had was an eq on a masterfader of a sub bus which is behaving different realtime compared to offline (delay compensation).

Missing channels happens occasionally realtime here, out of the blue, like dropping a single channel or track, but solved by restarting PT.

Actually, the most problematic bounces are realtime here...
Old 01-28-2021, 04:25 AM

This drama happened on Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.12, HDX system, macOS Mojave.

It is good you mention the Automatic Delay Compensation issues as well. Apart from the missing elements in the mix, for a while we have also been suspicious of timing problems while moving bounced stems back into a Logic Pro project. Sometimes they just sound 'off' for no explainable reason.

The ADC problems and mixing engine bugs make Pro Tools completely unreliable and slows us down quite a bit (having to check every bounce for problems). Bouncing tracks/stems/mixes seems such basic DAW functionality that I wonder how it is even possible these bugs still exist.

Support gave me feedback they were forced to fix quite a few of these bugs due to the Carbon release, but apparently they have more work to do.
Old 01-28-2021, 08:21 AM

Curious if the offending instantiation of Dyn3 was dual-mono or true stereo?

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 01-28-2021, 11:02 AM

I still don't trust offline bounce. I have to listen to it anyways after the fact so might as well listen as I print it. Save a few seconds. Also I still use hardware so there is that....

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Old 01-28-2021, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arche3 View Post
I still don't trust offline bounce...
me neither but I do it anyway
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 01-28-2021, 09:01 PM

Quote:
I still don't trust offline bounce. I have to listen to it anyways after the fact so might as well listen as I print it. Save a few seconds. Also I still use hardware so there is that....

A few seconds? It depends on your work. If you’re in film mixing the difference between offline and real-time bouncing can be much longer.
Old 01-28-2021, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ziebarth View Post
A few seconds? It depends on your work. If you’re in film mixing the difference between offline and real-time bouncing can be much longer.
Nope. I'm not mixing film. I don't mix anymore anyways as a job.

Old 01-29-2021, 01:02 AM

Quote:

Same here. We never do offline when we deliver our productions for the mastering engineers.

I have noticed these offline issues we had like dropped pannings, edits disappearing and phase problems was only present when we used our HDX2 and now we pulled out those cards which is sad considering we paid quite a lot new 7 yrs ago and only run our 4 Apollo X8P interfaces and one Apollo X16 and have not had the problems since ... But in all honesty we almost never so Offline bounces since those scares we had!

We use 90% hardware outboards and bounce each track in place to be sure we get what we hear so maybe these problems are mostly on HDX systems which would negate the HDX investment right away.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-29-2021, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post
Curious if the offending instantiation of Dyn3 was dual-mono or true stereo?
Interesting... In this case it was a multi-mono instance. I replaced the plugin with its multi-channel version, and then the mix comes out identical real time vs. offline. In both versions, when I audition the side-chain I hear both left and right channels. You have any more thoughts on this?