Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6

Old 11-10-2020, 10:57 AM

Default Pro Tools Mirroring Track Type Button

Sorry if this has been asked before, but is there a way for Pro Tools to mirror the Track Type button on the S6?

For example, if we select for the board to pull up only VCA's is there a preference we could set so that only VCA tracks would show in Pro Tools as well?
Old 11-10-2020, 12:27 PM
Avid

Default Re: Pro Tools Mirroring Track Type Button

Can you elaborate on the use case? As a side note -> try
ShowHide > Show VCA Master which will hide all other tracks.

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 11-10-2020, 12:42 PM

Thanks for the reply!

So we basically want to see if there's a way that when we select which tracks show on the S6 with the track type button it will do the same in the Pro Tools track window automatically.

So going back to the VCA example, if we choose to show only VCA's on the S6 is there a way to get Pro Tools to mirror that and only show VCA's and no other tracks automatically when we choose that option on the S6? Or can that only be done manually after the board switches over?
Old 11-10-2020, 01:32 PM
Avid

There is no way to hide tracks at the same time you are choosing Track Types from the S6. One of the reasons is that you can have up to 3 distinct buckets of tracks on the surface at one time - including Spill Zone Left, Spill Zone Right and banked tracks. Additionally, it's quite easy to have the S6 trigger a track justification in Pro Tools Edit and Mix Windows.

Yes, you could use the Show / Hide functions on the surface but that seems like an inefficient use of space. I would recommend testing one of the following:

(1) Open up a Spill Zone then choose Tracks -> then VCA Masters. If you want to justify the tracks to be visible inside of Pro Tools use Shift + Control + Select from a channel - such as the first VCA in the Zone.

(2) Perform a global Tracks filter -> Tracks -> VCA Masters then justify the view as above.

(3) Save a Track Layout containing essential structural parts of your template including VCA Masters. The benefit here is that you can use it as a base platform to work from. In other words, you can spill VCAs and (soon) folder members onto the desk into any of the 3 areas I mentioned previously -> Spill Zones and banked channels. these could even be nested to subcontain all food groups. Pressing Menu will get you back up the tree and effectively return you to your home base. Again, at any point you can justify tracks in Pro Tools using a few different methods:

(A) Command + Control + touch a fader -> will show automation and bring that channel range into view.

(B) Shift + Control + press a Select switch on a channel to justify that as the topmost / leftmost track in the Pro Tools Edit / Mix windows respectively.

Hope this helps.

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 11-11-2020, 11:45 AM

Can you remind me where you locate the Session show hide in the softkeys? I thought it was somewhere around shift+5 but I am not seeing it in the latest version with folder track options.

This seems like a useful fuction to have if to zones were targeted so Pro Tools and the surface always mirrored each other.

Maybe for a different thread but isn't there a preference to have Focusing a track also do the same as control+shift and pressing select? That would be very helpful since I do those two things all the time and it is just an extra three presses with two hands to use every time.
Old 11-11-2020, 12:31 PM
Avid

You can find the Show Hide functions on the top level - Defaults shown - bottom right hand corner of Master Module Left Soft Key bank:

Attention + Justification could certainly see some refinements in the future.

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 11-18-2020, 10:26 AM

Thank you for your help and reply, it took me a while to realize it was the bottom button like you said I was looking at the bottom right button on the left handside. That is so helpful to have I appreceate all your work on the forums and improving the software functionality.