Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2013, 05:55 PM

Cool Sending Midi from Casio to PT 6 on Mac

My equipment and software:

Upgraded from PT 6.4 LE to PT 9 with an Mbox
Midi interface is a MOTU Micro Express with only Midi ports
Mac Book Pro OSX 10.6
Casio WK-3000 (midi keyboard, no USB ports)

FYI - I have been using PT for 6 years.

1) My keyboard is connected to my MOTU midi interface.
Both midi IN and OUT from the keyboard are connected to the MOTU OUT and IN
ports.

2) My Motu midi interface is connected by USB to my computer thru a hub.

I want to know how to send the midi rythym or accompaniment that I've chosen from the Casio to sepearte tracks into Pro Tools. I was able to do this no problem in PT 6.4 LE - but unable to do this in PT 9.

Here are the steps I take to record midi into PT 6.4
1) Create 8 midi tracks

2) Leave input for each midi track as "All"

3) Choose the name of my keyboard as the output for each midi track. Each consecutive track as channel1, channel2, channel3,.......thru channel8.

4) Enable all tracks to record.

5) Press the "accompaniment" button on the keyboard - I then play the note that I want and all the instruments within this particular accompaniment play - and each instrument records on its dedicated midi track.

6) After I'm done recording, I stop the recording for each track.

7) When I playback - the music comes out of my keyboard.
I don't want playback music to come out of the computer or anywhere else so please don't suggest that

NOTE: The drum track from the keyboard record on 1 track and that is a-ok with me.

I have spoken to a few techs at well-known music and audio stores and they consistently try to show me how to use instruments within PT and to change the way I record music- so this is causing me much frustration. I think that everyone has their own type of setup with which they are comfortable.

I am a hard core midi fan - and would just like to get up and running with my PT upgrade before I start experimenting with new things.

I hope someone can help me. Thank you so so much!
Old 01-21-2013, 11:46 PM

Default Re: Sending Midi from Casio to PT 6 on Mac

hundreds of views but no help
Old 01-22-2013, 01:05 AM

I don't use MIDi like this. I'm surprised that you can't do exactly what you could do in PTLE 6.4 in PT9. As far as I know they haven't removed any functionality in regards to MIDI tracks. My guess would be that your missing something in the MIDI setup window. Have something set in the Prefs different. Could be something's changed in Macs AMS between then and now. Could be a setting on your MOTU units changed.

Good luck.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 01-22-2013, 05:56 AM

What you need to do first is determine if this is only a pro tools problem or a problem with MIDI in general. It sounds like without any further testing, we've established that pro tools is not receiving midi input. So first check your input devices in pro tools, make sure that the port you want to record from is enabled.

Now, try another midi app, and see if that recieves from the port you're trying to record from. (I use the free Snoize MIDI monitor for this, very useful app).

Finally, draw some midi notes in pro tools, and playback the track... Monitor the track's output port with midi monitor and see if midi is coming out of pro tools. If so, is your keyboard receiving it? Double check your midi cables, sometimes they feel like they're plugged in all the way but their not... Sometimes they are just junk(midi cables can be checked with an ohmmeter very easily... They just use pin 2 and pin 4 of the 5 pin connector).

So if you are getting midi in and out from other apps, but not pro tools, the problem is pro tools. For osx 10.6, I had the best luck with 10.6.8 and pt 9.0.3.... If you haven't updated to these versions and repaired permissions via disk utility, do that first. If none of that works, try reinstalling pro tools.

If MIDI is not working with anything at all on the mac, check and make sure you have the latest drivers for your midi interface. Sometimes, all you need to do is reinstall the drivers for the midi interface after installing pro tools.

Also remember after any install or reinstall, to run the permissions repair, and do a complete restart of the mac before giving up.

Good luck!

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 02-10-2013, 07:56 PM

Thumbs up Re: Sending Midi from Casio to PT 9 on Mac

Oh Man!.....I have been trying to log on in here for weeks and my user and password wouldn't work. I tried tonight frustrated - and it worked.

Thank you so much for answering. I rechecked my equipment and everything was connected as it should be. Without changing anything I was able to record 7 instruments at once from my Casio into my PT session - with each instrument recording on a separate track! :roll eyes:

I was also able to separate the midi drum track with no issue. Great!

The only thing I can think of was that I had the accompaniment setting from my Casio set to "Off". When I changed that to "Normal" - it worked.

Now I'm having an IO issue. I'm not able to digitize my midi tracks. I was able for 1 day, then something changed. I'll read other forum threads to find an answer.

Thanks everyone.