Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2020, 07:55 PM

Default Constant Protools 12.5 crashes HIGH SIERRA

Hello Everyone.. So ive been working cool on Sierra for a while. I had to update my os to High Sierra.. Protools 12.5.2 has been crashing ever since.. So I emailed customer support and they were not helpful at all. I have a full PT HD 10 and 11 License, and a full Pt HD 12 License... I am fully amazed at all the stuff i have used over the years from Avid from Mpowered, Music productions toolkit, the Complete production toolkit and so on and so forth..

So I am completed baffled as to how my Perpetual HD 12 License will not run all versions of Protools HD 12.??? Someone please help me understand how this makes sense or is even ethical? I understand versions beyond 12 like 2018, but 12.6 wont run and from what im seeing, thats the lowest version thats qualified to run on my system... I'm just confused as to how this is okay.. They dont qualify everything, update, make you pay higher than any other company for upgrades or support.. I dont really need the support in most cases, but this is really not a good thing.. Do any of you know anyone @Avid that can help me through this.. Its just leaving a sour taste in my mouth.. Please Help if you can!!
Old 12-03-2020, 08:17 PM

Default Re: Constant Protools 12.5 crashes HIGH SIERRA

PT 12.5 is not supported on High Sierra. Compatibility info here.
Old 12-03-2020, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkmomo View Post
12.6 wont run
If you have DigiLink interfaces you need DigiLink I/O license with 12.6 or later version
Old 12-03-2020, 09:44 PM

The idea you get free upgrades stopped many years ago at Pro Tools 12.6. Legacy Pro Tools 12 licenses needed to be (paid) update at 12.6. and after that you really are expected to be on a support plan to get license updates. This was interesting news several years ago, and there are many hundreds of posts on DUC about all this which you can read through. If you still need licensing help an Avid dealer, not Avid support, is likely the best place to get help from including they should understand exactly what you have now and what options you have in purchasing upgrades (or moving to a subscription... be very careful not to move to a subscription unless you want to). Talking to a Sweetwater or Vintage King rep on the phone would be my starting point.
Old 12-20-2020, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkmomo View Post
Hello Everyone.. So ive been working cool on Sierra for a while. I had to update my os to High Sierra.. Protools 12.5.2 has been crashing ever since.. So I emailed customer support and they were not helpful at all. I have a full PT HD 10 and 11 License, and a full Pt HD 12 License... I am fully amazed at all the stuff i have used over the years from Avid from Mpowered, Music productions toolkit, the Complete production toolkit and so on and so forth..

So I am completed baffled as to how my Perpetual HD 12 License will not run all versions of Protools HD 12.??? Someone please help me understand how this makes sense or is even ethical? I understand versions beyond 12 like 2018, but 12.6 wont run and from what im seeing, thats the lowest version thats qualified to run on my system... I'm just confused as to how this is okay.. They dont qualify everything, update, make you pay higher than any other company for upgrades or support.. I dont really need the support in most cases, but this is really not a good thing.. Do any of you know anyone @Avid that can help me through this.. Its just leaving a sour taste in my mouth.. Please Help if you can!!
Sorry to hear this funkmomo, that sucks really.
I am on 12.5 on El Capitan, and all is stable, of course I am sure that if/when I need to update my OS, if PT crashes or doesnt work, then I wont be supported either.
At that point I guess I will need to find a PT that does work, and even update my OS further and get a really newer PT version.

I hate it hall, depressing also. Once you do get sorted, and you will, best to stick with a stable set up and don't update until you are forced to, with 3rd party stuff, DAWs, OS's etc its a never ending game of catch up. Best have 2 systems in a perfect world. Good luck.