Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2002, 07:53 AM

Default Re: Oh Mr. Neumann?? Calling Mr. Neumann?

Most people still half "anglosize" [sp?] it. Even most of the pros. Can you believe it? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] German is the language I grew up with.

If you really want to get technical with it, the 'man' part would be pronounced "mahn", as in "ah, I get it". As opposed to 'man' which rhymes with 'fan'.

So I propose it now be written as "Noy-mahn".

darryl
Old 03-05-2002, 11:58 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>This name gets butchered by people who either 1. don't know German or 2. are new to pro level studios. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

True, true...

And as it seems, I'm the only German guy who reads this, but I'm gonna clear things up:

I think you american guys get the closest result if you read out loud "NOYMUN"!

(like "annoying"+"fun")

It's not "mahn" since the "a" is short. Oh, and Phil, if you suggested using "Noyman's" to me, I'd definitely ask you, if you got another chewing gum for me [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

The "e" in Porsche is pronounced like the "e" in "ten", same goes for "Rode".

LOL
Old 03-05-2002, 03:39 PM

Is there anybody out here with an AT 4050CM5?
I am sitting on a very capricious $600 that will spring to an NTK or an AT 4050CM5 this week so I'm bumping up(down?) this solicitation for opinion... The primary application is voice (mine)...

Also, any of you NTK owners- is the optional SM2 shockmount useful or mostly just cool looking?
Thanks in advance...
For the RØDE story, go here:
RØDE

Finally: shops.
Old 03-05-2002, 03:48 PM

the tlm103 is a great mic but i feel it works best through a tube pre..... i actually run mine uncoventionally routed thru the juice box tube pre which gives it some dynamic presence....peace
Old 03-05-2002, 04:10 PM

Shupes?

Bastiaan
Old 03-05-2002, 07:00 PM

I always thought it was noymun too. When I hear Newman...it makes me think of seinfeld...

"Helloooo neeeeewman...."
Old 03-06-2002, 12:02 AM

And now try to say "Schoeps"!

LOL
Old 03-06-2002, 12:08 AM

Since we are on the "Big sightseeing tour of famous mikes", lets see if I remember correctly?
"Berlin" (you will probable land at Tegel), if you haven´t been in Berlin before GO TO Alexanderplatz, then U8 direction Wittenau and get off in Reinickendorf and take the Bus (sorry I`ve forgotten the number) or you can walk, but the Ollenhauerstr. is a very long street and 98 is on your left side in an obscure red brick building that doesn´t look much to the world AND you´ve reached "magic land of mikes..."

(If you gave up, the "Karl Bonhoeffer Nervenklinik" is just around the corner!)

Have fun... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
VI: Reason 8, Ivory It., Trilian|Omnisphere, VG2/RealGuitar, Kontakt6|GPO, Goliath|Gypsy|Fab Four, Candy, Structure, EZdrum, BIAB Audiophile
Hardware: TLM49|TLM103, SPL Track One, TC M-One, Artist Contr.v2|Transp|3xMix
Old 03-06-2002, 05:13 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Stone Knife:
Is there anybody out here with an AT 4050CM5?
I am sitting on a very capricious $600 that will spring to an NTK or an AT 4050CM5 this week so I'm bumping up(down?) this solicitation for opinion... The primary application is voice (mine)...

Also, any of you NTK owners- is the optional SM2 shockmount useful or mostly just cool looking?
Thanks in advance...
For the RØDE story, go here:
RØDE

Finally: shops.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would definitely A/B these mics to each other: AT4050, AT4047, Rode NTK, and Studio Projects T3 if you can. They all have their own character. I think the NTK is hard to beat for an entry level project studio mic. It certainly is not a Soundeluxe U99, or Brauner VH1 by any means, but for the price it is right there with the Neumann U87 and definetly a better mic for most things than the 103. You just need to find one that matches your preamp, voice, room, and purpose. If you have the money go for the Soundeluxe U99 into a Great River MP-2NV Preamp.

As far as that NTK shockmount, I thought is looked so awesome, but after working with it for a couple of months it really is a piece of **** . Get the universal mount from www.musiciansadvocate.com (Brad) It is not as cool looking, but it is simple and works on everything. I love it.
Allen
Old 03-06-2002, 05:30 PM

Ah, Allen... welcome back to the 001 Win page!
Yeah, the 4050 and NTK are so close both price-wise and in performance.
I am leaning more to the NTK because I sound a little like Bruce Dern, only with a clothespin on my nose, while talking through a paper towel tube. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]