Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2008, 11:11 PM

Default Used ProControl vs a new D Command

I am considering moving for to PTHD3. I presumed that I would get a D Command and a friend recommended that I simply go for a used ProControl and a new PTHD3. Any thoughts?
Old 01-29-2008, 11:55 AM

Default Re: Used ProControl vs a new D Command

well the PC (Pro Control) is dated, will most likely need some repair at some point sooner the a D-Command
the PC will not be getting any feature added
the D-Command has a vastly better monitoring section compared to the PC (not perfect but much, much better)

now if you just want some faders and the price is dirt cheap get the PC

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 01-30-2008, 01:32 PM

Well, the PC is more than just faders.

As for new features, several 'shirt tail' features have fallen to the PC. ie scroll wheel features.

There is a huge price difference at this point in time. If an ICON is in the budget, then why even ask?
Old 02-02-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:

As for new features, several 'shirt tail' features have fallen to the PC. ie scroll wheel features.

There is a huge price difference at this point in time. If an ICON is in the budget, then why even ask?
I only ask or inquire in order to make an informed decision and spend my money wisely.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:

I only ask or inquire in order to make an informed decision and spend my money wisely.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:34 PM

For about $4,000 or less (street) ProControl can't be beat.
If I had or wanted to tie up $30,000 then I would get a 24 fader D-Command.
If I could justify to my wife that a 16 fader D-Control would bring in more clients then I would go for that.

All that said, I'm very happy with my PC and don't regret it. It was one of the best purchases I've made since I went to HD. But if the price was not the issue I'd go ICON and I expect to at some point in time.

Simple as that.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:38 PM

I know that you've been doing your research on control surfaces.Any reason why you're going for HD3 - do you have 100+ track mixes? IMO for a 40+ track setup a HD1 with a good Mac will suffice.You can use the native power to run the RTAS plugins.From GS I know that you're a "cost-no-objective" guy but I thought I'll just opine.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:53 PM

as a controller the PC is good to very good the D-Command is very good to very vary good

but for the things like speaker select, speaker level, talk back to cues the Pc is poor to ok and the X-Mon component of the ICON good to quite good maybe even very good (a good large format desk it still better at the little things IMO)

this is my take on the 2 units for comparison

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 02-14-2008, 11:25 AM

maybe a bit OT and i do not mean to get into a battle with Bit mangler(cool name). i say go with hd 3 if you can swing it. imho HD1 is very weak compared to todays modern computers. when i fist got my hd1 system i had problems playing back some big sessions the i had running on my 002r with my quad. i know the workarounds with voice allocation and such but still,weak.

just having HD up and running uses up some of your dsp.add to that long delay comp,there goes some more dsp,run in higher sample rates you guessed it,more dsp. by time you set up your session you are running out of hd power. add a tdm reverb,there goes another chip. you can get pretty much down to nothing in a hurry. i say go with hd 3 or expanded.
i work with a client that demands large sessions so, in my situation HD1 doesn't come close to the power i need.

by no means bashing protools here,i enjoy my HD system very much.for me, HD1 is not much at all,power wise. good luck with you control surface choice.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:42 PM

Quote:
maybe a bit OT and i do not mean to get into a battle with Bit mangler(cool name).
Hey it is all OK ..we're just sharing our ideas and helping each other out!

Quote:
imho HD1 is very weak compared to todays modern computers.
that is exactly why I am asking to remain HD1 and tap into the native power of the newer computers like the penryn Macpros for plugins.If you've noticed recently,RTAS plugins are seeing a lot of action and I believe it is a result of developers forseeing the increased native power (eg. MDW plugins)Again I could be wrong about the OPs actual need
I see that you're running a Tyan Quad.It was great a couple of years ago but lot of things have changed since then wrt to the native power of computers.