Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Additional Resources

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 09-21-2006, 01:37 PM

Default Importing AAF FIles from AVID

Hello,
When trying to import an .AAF sequence from an AVID Symphony Nitris (ver 1.5.1) into Protools (ver 6.9.1/HD 2 Accel running on windows XP) I can't seem to get the AAF file to see any of the AVID's audio media. We are not trying to import video, just audio. We are on a Unity system, running client version 3.5.
When we export from AVID we choose "copy all media" and we set it to a specific folder on my partiion, yet when I try to open the AAF file, it only references media NOT created in the AVID digitize/editing process...meaning anything they've extracted from a CD, or VO files imported from me previously, etc. I can see the media in the "Audio Files" folder if i click and open it...yet it does not appear in the "Import Session Data" window when I try to import it. We do this with Symphony's using OMF 2.0 exports, and they work fine. It seems to be something with the AAF/Protools translation that's getting confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Brian
Old 09-24-2006, 03:09 PM

Default Re: Importing AAF FIles from AVID

From the answerbase...

Pro Tools 6.9.3 and earlier with DigiTranslator does not support AAF files with embedded media. Only AAF import and export with external file references is supported.
- MacPro 8 Core 2.4 Westmere 28Gb RAM
- PT HD 10.3.3 + H.E.A.T. OS X 10.8.2
- SSL Nucleus Controller
- Dynaudio Acoustics BM6A's / Genelec 8040a / NS10's w/ Sub
- 1176's, LA2A's, ADL CL1500, Neve 1073's, 16 x Wunder Audio Pre's, Ward Beck's, API's, Misc Vintage outboard.
- 2x - HD3 Accel PCIe - 192 i/o's - 96 i/o's
Old 09-29-2006, 12:48 PM

David,
Thanks for the reply! I saw that in the answerbase too, so we tried all the other ways to export from AVID, with no luck, so I threw this post up to see if anyone has ever had luck with this! I'm going to try HD 7.2 and see what happens...
Thanks,
Brian
Old 10-09-2006, 04:50 PM

When exporting from an avid system to a trackpack/ext drive that you want to house all the media, its best to use the "Consolidate and relink to consolidated media" option - then only the exact media you need it pushed onto the drive and the AAF refers to that newly created media with new UIDs and file durations etc.
That may help?

Also - this is probably better posted in the post and surround forums btw...