Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2001, 02:18 PM

Default Updating to Pro Tools LE 5.1.1

Hi all. Digidesign mailed me the Pro Tools LE 5.1.1 disc in the mail. I have a few questions that I hope some of you could help me with.
1. Do I have to uninstall the Wave Driver that came with my Pro Tools 5.0.1? (I am running Windows 98SE and in the Getting Started manual that came with my Digi 001 on page 19 it says "If you are a Pro Tools user (it doesn't say Pro Tools LE)and are installing a new version of the Pro Tools LE software , the Pro Tools LE installer will automatically update your existing wave drivers." However, when I read the "Read me" files on the new disk it seems to go into great detail telling me how the old wave driver must be removed manually first. What gives?
2. Do I have to remove the Session and DAE components of my old 5.0.1 Pro Tools LE before updating? The "read me" also hints at this.
3. I couldn't find the file "Windows\Inf\Other\DigidesignDALWDM.inf on my machine. I had to reinstall 5.0.1 once before and the file was there when I did my first uninstall. Now all I see is a Notepad file called
"Windows\Inf\Other\DigidesignDALWDM
Does the file DigidesignDALWDM with the .inf extension only get created after the Digi wave driver is removed?
4. Do I have to remove Pro Tools LE 5.0.1 before installing 5.1.1?

Basically what I am after here is a clearly defined way of acheiving a smooth upgrade from LE 5.0.1 to LE 5.1.1 without deleting anything I shouldn't and without having to reload items I should not have to. Any help would be greatly appreciated because the last time I got in too deep with my 001 I had to take it right down to physically removing the card, all the software and restarting from scratch. I'd rather be redording! Thanks in advance for your help.
T-Man
Old 09-08-2001, 05:23 PM

Default Re: Updating to Pro Tools LE 5.1.1

I downloaded the upgrade from 5.01 to 5.1 one day and then 5.1.1 the next day (on a 56k modem no less - it took 5.25 hours for the upgrade). All I had to do was install the upgrade.

I do know that I had to move the authorization for D-Verb back to the floppy first in order to not lose the authorization and I would recommend that for sure. This may have been fixed with your more recent copy of the upgrade so don't quote me on that.

I didn't have to uninstall the Wave Driver or move session or DAE components. I don't know anything about the DigidesignDALWDM file. You don't need to uninstall 5.01. You install 5.1.1 right over top of it. You will need the serial number the first time you launch PTLE (of course). I've seen it recommended that once you have 5.1.1 going, you should open your sessions and resave immediately as a 5.1.1 file (the two file types do have different icons), but I've only done it with old 5.01 files that I've actually had to use as 5.1.1

To be quite honest, the install couldn't have been any easier. Alot of people are very happy with the added features and smoother operation.

Hope this helps. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-08-2001, 09:17 PM

All you really MUST do is install the upgrade. That will work. You don't have to uninstall anything first. I didn't move my D-Verb key back to the floppy, and I didn't lose it. It's a good idea to keep it safe though. You probably should de-authorize just to be safe.

A couple of things that you should do... If you have any custom plug-in presets stored in any of the default Pro Tools folders, back them up to another location before the upgrade. You WILL lose them if you don't back them up! Also back up the Pro Tools Documentation files. They will get lost in the upgrade as well, and then your PT Help menu won't do anything anymore. You can get them back from the Web if you need to though.

Also, after the upgrade is complete make sure to go back into the Setup > Preferences menu and check all the settings to put them back the way they were before the upgrade. All the preferences get overwritten with default values during the upgrade.

Mike
- PreSonus Quantum 2 - PreSonus Studio 24c - Mackie Onyx 1640i
- Samsung T3 and T5 SSDs - Various USB2/3 and Firewire HDDs
Old 09-09-2001, 02:38 AM

I installed the update after downloading it from the digisite. I didn't uninstall anything, the authorisation key can't be lost unless you format the harddrive. I didn't run in any trouble.

Digi sent me the email they would send me a CD Rom with the update, but I didn't receive anything yet.

Is there anybody else out there who hasn't got the CD-Rom yet? [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

[ September 09, 2001: Message edited by: KaiXXX ]
Old 09-09-2001, 03:16 AM

Hi,

I just ordered my 5.1.1 LE cd and downloaded the upgrade, The web site said to allow 6-8 weeks for delivery!

Cheers,
Brett
Old 09-09-2001, 08:10 AM

The install was cake. I think it took 5 minutes. The download is the longest part. As far as a disc in the mail goes- I just burnt what I downloaded to a disc, in case I need it again. I don't think they're sending out a disc, but I could be wrong.
Old 09-09-2001, 09:45 AM
Administrator

All 5.1.1 upgrade orders on the DigiStore are for the shipping upgrade, with the option to also download. Typically, shipping usually takes about 1 to 2 weeks in the US, and 2 to 4 weeks internationally. Availability at the time of order of upgrade stock as well as international customs can effect the delivery time, so the 6-8 weeks is a very conservative estimate that would be worst-case scenario. It also was much more true back when Pro Tools 5.1 was initially released, and supply and demand factored into the longer delivery times. All upgrade orders on the DigiStore are shipped by DHL air.

Automatic 5.1.1 update/backup software goes out from Customer Service to new purchases upon registration. If your registration card shows that you already have 5.1.1, you just receive the Windows backup disk for D-Verb. If your registration card shows a 5.1 or earlier version of PTLE was what was included in your purchase, you also receive the PTLE 5.1.1 update.

For existing owners that have had 5.1 for awhile, 5.1.1 is a free download. As it states on the 5.1.1 update page:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>If you are not able to download the Pro Tools 5.1.1 Updater, contact your Authorized Digidesign Dealer for information on how to obtain the Pro Tools 5.1.1 Updater CD.

Pro Tools 5.1.1 Updater CDs are not available directly from Digidesign.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

and on the actual download page:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>A high speed connection (ISDN, DSL, Cable modem or higher) is highly recommended. Downloading with a 56k modem or less is not recommended, as many internet service providers will drop the connection over the course of several hours.*

* If you are not able to download the Pro Tools 5.1.1 Updater, contact your Authorized Digidesign Dealer for information on how to obtain the Pro Tools 5.1.1 Updater CD.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 09-10-2001, 03:50 AM

Hi,

Does this mean if I had not lost my registration card for my digi001 + PTLE 5.0.1 for PC and sent it in I would have got the 5.1.1 upgrage sent out to me for free.
If so that's annoying as I just paid the $50 + tax and shipping from digistore.

Cheers,
Brett
Old 09-10-2001, 08:56 AM
Administrator

The details for free updates to Pro Tools 5.1 & 5.1.1 have been posted for about a year now in the Support section: http://www.digidesign.com/support
Free update for anyone that purchased a new system after September 1, 2000.

Click on the Customer Service link there or at the bottom of the DUC pages and go to the 5.1.1 LE upgrades, or go directly here: http://www.digidesign.com/support/cs...pt5leupgd.html

Information about registration can be found in the Registration section of Customer Service: http://www.digidesign.com/support/cs...istration.html

Your dated original sales receipt can be used instead of the registration.
Old 09-10-2001, 09:54 AM

Hi,

So if I get registered i'll get the upgrade but where does that leave me with the one I purchased only yesterday from digistore! can I cancel and get a refund?

Cheers,
Brett