Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2002, 03:09 AM

Default Field Recordings. What do you use??

Hi there
I´ve just been wondering, if any of you do any field recording for sound efx. etc. and which hardware you use. Is it DAT, Porta HD, Minidisc or what???
Im very interested in knowing, since im about to buy hardware for field recording!

Pindebraende [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Mikkel
Sonic Salute SFX Libraries
IMDB
Old 03-20-2002, 09:04 AM

Default Re: Field Recordings. What do you use??

For music, I use DAT (simple & reliable PCM - no data compression like MiniDisc), then dump into PTLE via S/PDIF for EQ, fader moves, audio compression.

MiniDisc is popular with ENG/radio speech applications. PCM and MP2 solutions using flash cards exist (Marantz, Denon), but I believe are still limited to 16bit/44khz.

Depending on the circumstances, I either:

* plug a stereo camcorder mic direct
* use a pair of AKG small diaphragm condensers through an XLR->minijack phantom adaptor
* use four mics through a little mixer

When my trusty old Sony consumer DAT dies, I will probably track live stereo audio into my DV camcorder with the lens cap on. The DV/DVCAM compression algorithm attacks video only, the sound is stereo 16bit/48kHz PCM just like a DAT. Then import the DV through Firewire and extract the audio.

Although I would like to trust a computer with field recording, I still hesitate. If my DAT lives another year or two, I will most likely spring for an Mbox/iBook setup

- Sean
Old 03-20-2002, 09:37 AM

I've done remote recordings to DAT, MD, and CDR, and I prefer CDR. I've primarily used a Tascam CDRW-2000, and then taken a digital out over to a Tascam DA-30 for backup. If you don't have either of those yet, you'll probably get a lot more use out of a nice CD writer for mixdowns, etc than you will a DAT, and they essentially have the same interfacing options.
Old 03-20-2002, 10:27 AM

with all due respect, sean, despite DV "spec'ing" the same as Dat, the five dollar converters and preamps in the DV cameras are not even close to the sound of a DAT machine. In the last three years I've used probably 20 different Digital cameras to record sound to. I had 9 of them sent to the shop for repairs due to audio problems. ( most of them sonys ranging in price from 4 to 35 thousand dollars. And even when they work they generally sound no better than a minidisc recorder with a high noise floor.
It's frustrating, but proved to me over and over and....
Old 03-20-2002, 11:15 AM

I use a Sony ECM-999 stereo mic into a Zefiro "In Box" (9volt powered pre-amp and crystal A/D convertor) then Toslink into a Sharp MD recorder. Works great for me. Have done several live albums from this setup. Back in the studio I transfer digitally from MD to PT for editing, and efx. Works great for me. I would love to try this front end with a portable DAT machine just for comparison. The thing I like about this setup is that there's no AC involved. I can just find the best seat in the house and put up my mic stand. I use lithium batteries in the MD recorder just to guarantee enough power.
Old 03-21-2002, 05:52 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR> with all due respect, sean, despite DV "spec'ing" the same as Dat, the five dollar converters and preamps in the DV cameras are not even close to the sound of a DAT machine. In the last three years I've used probably 20 different Digital cameras to record sound to. I had 9 of them sent to the shop for repairs due to audio problems. ( most of them sonys ranging in price from 4 to 35 thousand dollars. And even when they work they generally sound no better than a minidisc recorder with a high noise floor.
It's frustrating, but proved to me over and over and.... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Freeheel, I take your point, especially since I have not even A/B'd the DAT with the DV cam. My point is that I don't trust direct to disk with a computer yet. But I can tell you that even before the A/D converters, the mic preamp in my Sony consumer DAT is shyte, in mic mode overloads way too easily, which is why I prefer to go line-in with the cevl IM2 twin XLR adaptor which has onboard trim pots, -6 and -12 dB bass rolloffs, and phantom through a pair of 9v cells. cevl (http://www.cevl.com) markets this box to pro DVCAM users...

- Sean
Old 03-21-2002, 09:03 AM

Greetings from Texas!!!! I'vee been doing location & remote recordings for about 5 years now, and in my opinion, the Tascam DAP-1 portableDAT machine is the single most amazing piece of field gear out there. Let me repeat that..AMAZING! S/PDIF, XLR,RCA ins, phantom power, Awsome sounding pre's (I use them at home on my 001 box via s/pdif) nice limiter, batteries last 2 hours w/ phantom power on. As for mics I found these Sure SM94 condensers that are just the bomb for sampling & field work. I think they are about $175 each. The DAP-1 IS a bit pricey, but it and a pair of congas kept me fed for the majority of 1999. Happy recording!
Live in Texas, Esteban the Impailer.
Old 03-21-2002, 09:23 AM

I use a sonyMZ portable Minidisc recorder and a sony stereo mic(ECM707?). What you should get depends on what you want to do.
Certified Protools6.x Post-Production Operator
Old 03-21-2002, 02:45 PM

I use...whatever comes to hand...
I use to be the happy owner of a DAT Tascam DAP1 along with a stereo Schoeps "couple" (not sure if you say that in english...); I had to sell it for financial reasons...too bad, it was a great system.
I've used and still use MD along with a (rather cheap) sony stereo mic...it's OK when the sources are loud but not OK at all when the sources are low (I have to increase the input level which brings up noise...).
I've tried using the PCM tracks of my Sony TRV900E camcorder with different mics and got some pretty good results along with a good preamp.
My opinion, in every cases, a good (but most of the time expensive...) preamp can be a saver in many situations.
Old 03-21-2002, 10:06 PM

hi Sean, good point.