Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 07-04-2020, 01:05 PM

Default Strike in 2019.12

I like to use Strike in my sessions before I get a drummer in, and sometimes I just use it for inspiration when I'm writing songs. As far as I can tell from from the instructional videos I've watched (Groove 3) I should be able to record enable, hit record, hit play, and the midi will record. Mine won't do that. Other virtual instruments I have work fine...……..but not Strike or Boom for that matter...…...Boom also being a beat box. I must be missing a setting or something somewhere. Anyone using the new version of Strike?
Tim
Pro tools 2019.12
High Sierra 10.13.6
iMac 27"
3.4 GHz Intel Corei7
16 GB MHz DDR3
2 SSD's one storage one start up
Focusrite Clarret 8pre X interface
Old 07-05-2020, 12:08 AM

Default Re: Strike in 2019.12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchipman View Post
...Anyone using the new version of Strike?
Been a while since I’ve used Strike 2 – but here’s some of my old notes:

How to drag & drop Strike 2’s Audio from the RECORD EXPORT box
Select Audio in the RECORD EXPORT box. Click the red record button, record a loop
Don’t hit the stop key – let it record until it’s filled your 1, 2 or 4 bars – let it keep recording. Then, while it's still recording, drag it across to your Tracks List. Then an Audio Track named Recording 1 or Recording 2 (etc.) will automatically appear in the Edit Window at the start of your Session. You don’t have to drag from the Tracks List to the Edit Window. I use Markers to place the Audio Files where I want them

If I stop the Audio recording and drag the Audio – that doesn’t work for me

How to drag & drop Strike 2’s MIDI from the RECORD EXPORT box:

Select MIDI (RECORD EXPORT box) - hit red record button - then record a Strike loop (or use the Editor to create your own)

Grab “FULL” first – drag it to the TRACKS list
“FULL” = Channel 15 (it only plays Strike)
Select your MIDI Import Options from the pop-up box - hit “OK”

Next press “GM” - grab (the same) MIDI again – drag it to the TRACKS list. Select your MIDI Import Options from the pop-up box - hit “OK"
“GM” = Channel 2 – this is General Midi – you can now add an Instrument Track – add (for example) Addictive Drums (or BOOM or Structure etc) - set Strike Ch.2's output to Addictive Drums etc - then play Addictive Drums etc from the standard GM (Strike 2)

So now your expanded kit can become Strike playing Strike, coupled with Strike also playing the same loop in Addictive Drums etc – see attached image – note the I/O settings

Or you can have Strike just playing its loop in Addictive Drums etc - without the Strike kit

If you Mute Strike Ch.2 – Strike will play recorded MIDI via Ch.15
Whereas, Strike Ch.2 set to channel-15 wouldn't work at all - it would give you all sorts of random notes

Another way is to Print Strike to individual Tracks – a Track for each kit component, as well as separate Tracks for OH, Room and Talkback mics. This gives you far greater control of Strike. Once you’ve set it up and saved it as a Template, it’s ready to use for future Sessions.

PDF:
https://aed625a7d6b8aa15a975-2bf7536...User_Guide.pdf

Last edited by unkJE; 07-04-2021 at 09:43 PM.
Old 07-05-2020, 06:40 AM

Thank you so much for your reply. I know it takes time and effort to help old folks like me but I can't really express how much I appreciate it.
In the first version of Strike when I was using PT 9 I could just hit record an it would let me record a stereo audio take (with performance as I went along) and I could use that as a scratch version to familiarize an incoming drummer with what I had in mind. I'd like to be able to do that again, and it seems possible when I watch the video from Groove 3 explaining Strike 2...……..but he's using PT 11 not 2019.12!
A question I have when I look at Midi setup is: do I need to enable the beat clock on Strike or Boom in that dialog box? It appears but I'm not sure if that's what I need to do.
Thanks again for your help!
Tim
Old 07-05-2020, 06:45 AM

thank you also for sending that manual. Where did you find that?
Old 07-05-2020, 10:32 AM

Quote:
...do I need to enable the beat clock ...

I didn’t need to go: Setup>MIDI>MIDI Beat Clock for Strike 2.

In Pro Tools Setup>Preferences>MIDI Tab, choose “first selected MIDI track” for Default Thru Instrument

In Pro Tools>Options tick “MIDI Thru”

In Setup > Peripherals > MIDI Controllers, use the drop-down arrows to select your Controller’s “Type”, “Receive from” and “Send to” options

More info here:
https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...ia-USB-or-MIDI

Quote:
... that manual. Where did you find that?
I got the Strike Manual from the RH column of
https://www.airmusictech.com/product...2#.XwIL8-dn5PY

Click on AIR Strike 2.0 – User Guide
(below the Audio Samples)
Old 07-05-2020, 11:11 AM

Many thanks once. Again …….I'll let you know how I do!
Tim
Old 07-05-2020, 11:42 AM

Your fellow Americans may say "Lucky Strike!"

We Ozzies may be heard to mumble: "Strike Me Lucky!"

You may also enjoy this Strike v1 video:

Pro Tools | Drum Routing Tutorial with Strike Part 1 | Bryan Dale | Pyramind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXYdzm8Bi1E

and others may like "Strike 2 Explained" for US$6 from

https://www.groove3.com/tutorials/Strike-2-Explained

Good luck!
Old 07-19-2020, 06:10 AM

Thanks so much for your help! Between you and Sweetwater, Strike is now behaving as it should. Of course some of it was me misunderstanding how this new version works but once I got that I really love it.
There's only one problem now and it has nothing to do with Strike. Everytime I open PT 2019.12 I have to reset my keyboard so that it controls the midi. It's like it falls asleep and has to be woken up, then it's fine!
Old 07-19-2020, 09:09 AM

Quote:
...Everytime I open PT 2019.12 I have to reset my keyboard so that it controls the midi. It's like it falls asleep and has to be woken up, then it's fine!
In Post #5, I wrote:
“In Pro Tools Setup>Preferences>MIDI Tab, choose “first selected MIDI track” for Default Thru Instrument”
If you did this, then used another VI after using Strike, this could explain why Strike didn’t reload automatically

If you just want to keep working with Strike for a while, try this instead:

In Pro Tools Setup>Preferences>MIDI Tab, choose “Strike 1-1” for Default Thru Instrument (please see attached pic)

If this works, and you're happy with your chosen Kit, go to File>Save As Template, so you have a default Strike 2 kit loaded, ready to go, for future Sessions

Last edited by unkJE; 07-04-2021 at 09:43 PM.
Old 07-19-2020, 10:48 AM

Quote:
...Everytime I open PT 2019.12 I have to reset my keyboard so that it controls the midi. It's like it falls asleep and has to be woken up, then it's fine!
Another thought - just in case your computer is nodding off:

To prevent your computer from going to sleep or standby mode, see
Optimize Energy Saver

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...Optimize-10-13