Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 02-05-2000, 06:56 AM

Default Digital Performer, CueBase or the 001 Bundle?

My questions are simple, although the answer may not be.

I have a PC, Pentium III, 256RAM, ATA/66 HD, etc. But I'm not opposed to buying a new G4 with SCSI, etc. So platform has no preferance.

I am a new user to the computer world of DAW/MIDI recording. Although I've
been in studios for years and understand the concepts. It seems like the 001 product bundle with PTLE may have what I want.

I've read the issues on the forum concerning the lack of time code in the LE
product, and am quite confused at the moment. I really have very limited stuff previously recorded to concern myself with dumping into PTLE.

It also seems to me that an external clock would be more x-platform freindly (future changes) than would a computer based clock.

I want to record MIDI based
data, edit it, bounce it to audio tracks. Work with loops, record live drum
parts on 11 tracks simultaneously cause I'm a drummer and mixing while
playing is difficult at best. I need reverb, gates, limiters plus a few
other traditional effects. I've read that there is no verb, but marketing state currently D-verb is still bundled.

I would also like to use the 001 product
combined with my 1 ADAT and have it sync up, dump to disk ( for others who send me a tape), mix and combine
tracks and then dump back out and have the tape follow the other stuff on
disk.

I also like the concepts behind ACID and have heard the virtues of Recycle. I'd like to work with loops, edit loops and create my own drum loops. Although I have no clue of which would be better, cause I have limited experience, but I want the foundation to be there.

I also have a Mackie 24 8bus, high quality mics, and all that other junk you come to expect like outboard effects, Lexicon etc.

So here's the questions.

Will the 001 bundle with LE do this?

Would Digital Performer with the 2408 and a MIDI interface be better?

Or, would Cubase VST24 with the 2408 or a Frontier product be better?

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can give,
J. Scott Johnson
Old 02-05-2000, 03:34 PM

Default Re: Digital Performer, CueBase or the 001 Bundle?

My experience is limited to the things which I actually own, but I can tell you that the digi001 and cubase are an excellent combination. The 001 is really a nice interface, and I don't think there's anything else out which is comparable, in terms of having so many inputs and outputs and still having 24 bit sound.
Protools LE is actually a very nice piece of work, and is easier to use in some ways than Cubase. But cubase is much more powerful for midi stuff, and the plug-ins are really cool......anyway, I'm sure you'll get a lot of advice on this question.

-mike kaplan

p.s. I'm using a G4 sawtooth-thing with OS9, and all is well
Old 02-06-2000, 05:28 AM

mkap

As a CueBase user, have you any experience with Recycle vs. ACID?

JScott
Old 02-07-2000, 03:32 PM

One caveat...

I have not been able to get any inputs other than 1 and 2 to be recognized by Cubase 4.1. The ASIO input panel sees them, but you cannot select them from the channel strip (at least I haven't found a way), and I could select all inputs (ADAT or S/PDIF)from the channel strip when I used my Korg 1212 card. This effectively turns the 001 into a 2 analog input box for Cubase: no ADAT or S/PDIF inputs.

Apparently this is a problem with the TDM version, also. Another Cubase user told me that even with the 882 interface, Cubase only recognizes the first two inputs. Maybe this will be resolved in a future version of the Direct I/O driver. It seems that the Direct I/O driver was originally designed for the AMIII card, which only has two inputs, I believe. It hasn't really been updated for quite some time. We Cubase users just started using it with DAE 5.0 and working out the bugs with Steinberg's (and Digi's) assistance.

+++++++++++++++++++++

I haven't used DP or Logic, so I can't comment on their features compared to PTLE, but if you want an integrated system primarily for audio, the 001/PTLE is hard to beat. If you want to do more midi stuff than audio, then there are several other options (Cubase, Logic, DP). As has been stated repeatedly here, the lack of SMPTE ruler on PTLE isn't really an issue for music composition or recording.

For loop-based stuff, I generally will use Cubase - mainly because I can hold several "arrangements" in the song file at the same time. I'll keep the midi files for the loops or patterns stored in a different arrangement. This allows easy cut-and-paste of loops/patterns into the "Main" song.

In PTLE, you generally have to store your "extra" midi/audio stuff at the very end of the song and paste it in from there. I just prefer the separate "arrangement"
window that Cubase has for cutting and pasting.

YMMV.

------------------
LW

[This message has been edited by lwilliam (edited February 07, 2000).]

PTLE8/002r;OS 10.6.4 2 x 2.26Ghz quadcore,6GB RAM, Waves Platinum, many other plugins...