Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2010, 07:18 AM

Default Protools LE: A dying Daw?

More and more people are leaving Protools for other Daw's like Logic, Cubase 5 etc...I was one of them!
One reason is Avids ignorance, they say that they care and listen to us custemors, but listen and deliver is two different things. If only Avid could DELIVER a solid and stable protools without DAE errors that keeps coming up and with ADC just like other daws! The RTAS engine is crap compared to other Daws.
All we want is to make music, not spend weeks and month to configurate the computer so the crappy rtas engine could work a little better!
Today im a happy owner of logic, no more errors like PT. I can use 35+ VI's without any problems:-D
But i still miss Xpand 2 and the easy workflow i had in PT.. If Avid will release a stable PT with ADC in the future, then i will return 'home'. But will they? I don't think so, and this will be the end of Protools

Johnny Andersson
Sweden
Old 05-12-2010, 07:36 AM

Default Re: Protools LE: A dying Daw?

The listening to customers part is probably the biggest frustration.

A while back, Native Instruments launched an email survey that I filled out. Just a few months later, they came out with Komplete 6, which seemed to have most of the changes that people were complaining about. I thought this was great.

Just today, I got a very detailed survey from FXpansion about the successor to BFD2. They seem to really want to hear their customers.

To contrast that, I remember filling out a survey a while back from Digi/Avid about audio products. It seems like ages ago and I haven't seen hardly any changes in what they offer.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:18 AM

I suspect the problems with "digi" these days are much more related to :

financial issues
organizational issues
strategic issues

I am certain they are aware of the changes that the users would like to see but:

They do not have the resources currently to be very responsive

They have not "settled-down" from the massive layoffs, subsequent outsourcing and other "work-flow" issues

They are not willing to implement some requests because it would have consequences to their HD/LE/MP cluster **** that they are not going to accept.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
The listening to customers part is probably the biggest frustration.

A while back, Native Instruments launched an email survey that I filled out. Just a few months later, they came out with Komplete 6, which seemed to have most of the changes that people were complaining about. I thought this was great.

Just today, I got a very detailed survey from FXpansion about the successor to BFD2. They seem to really want to hear their customers.

To contrast that, I remember filling out a survey a while back from Digi/Avid about audio products. It seems like ages ago and I haven't seen hardly any changes in what they offer.
Not only that, but FXpansion threw in a free kit piece for the trouble, and a 30% discount on a bunch of their expansion kits!

I agree that Avid has been slow to respond... but at the same time, they can't legally tell us much without losing their jobs, so they tend to keep pretty quiet.

It's pretty safe to assume that they are aware of the issues we have, and the features we want. Obviously implementation is a whole other matter. However, ADC is not important to me, and the RTAS engine works just fine on my end. I've never had to do any serious configuration to get PT to work... I had it working on an old crappy P4 Compaq Pressario before I got my Macbook Pro, and I still have 7.4 up on my 6 year old Athlon 64 3000+.

I really think patience is the key, here. I honestly believe Avid is working hard right now to provide some serious fixes and solutions for their next build or two. ADC in LE? Probably going to be a while yet. I'm not worried about it, though. That's what Time Adjuster is for.

But patience... I mean, look at Play 2.0. It's great. It's been solid, the browser window makes a whole lot more sense, and everything just seems to run a whole lot smoother. We did have to wait almost year from the last time there was even an update... but our patience was rewarded!

If a lack of ADC truly makes Pro Tools unusable for you... then I sympathize, but to me... it's just a feature.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 05-12-2010, 12:42 PM

I've not had troubleshooting issues. While those are important, I'm more interested in features (adc being one of several), but most of all I'm interested in higher quality interface options for LE. I realize I could get external converters, but just bothers me to have to buy an interface on top of an interface.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:20 PM

My big issue with PT is that it is so restrictive (only running on propreitary interfaces< et.c)...but the positive side of course is the age old "industry standard". For home users, I think it might be a different story as there are tons of solutions and many are cheaper, more free flowing/swappable, from what I gather.
The other seemingly common PT issue is poor customer support. This seems to prevail wherever I look with regards to Avid/digidesign. That being said, I think complaints are always easier to find than praises...just seems to be the general nature of things, so maybe that is to be taken with a grain of salt.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:08 AM

While I agree with many things written here, I certainly wouldn't call steinberg or apple the company who listen to their customers.

I think avid just standing up from the floor, and really hope that they have some serious things in their packet.
All in all, still not really wanting to jump ship for many reasons. I have logic, sometimes use it, but really, imho it is not a real competition to pro tools. I'm not talking about today trends, but overally.
Steinberg on the other hand is more serious imo. Cubase became a very good app, and nuendo is really, really clever and efficient. I hope that avid realize what is important, and make the necessary steps soon.