Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 04-14-2013, 02:11 AM

Default The new GR meter works how?

Dear forum.

Nice feature. But I wondered how it reacts to a channel with 3 or 4 dyns on it?

Does it just measure the sifference between the origin of the strips sound and the output? Or is it tied up to certain dyns?
Old 04-14-2013, 02:30 AM

Default Re: The new GR meter works how?

I'll take an interest if it turns out I'm going to have access to the feature ;-)

Seriously though ...
1) the wedinar gave no indication that the feature was tied to specific plugins, it gave the impression that it picks up on gain reduction in nay dynamics plugins

2) It can't just be reporting the difference between signal level at inout and signal level at output, can it?

3) Given that in each plugin has its own gain controls, to adjust input gain and makeup gain, the signal level could be the same (but with less dynamics) at the fader as it is before any plugins.

I'm pretty sure that in the webinar they described thevmeter as reporting total gain reduction. Theyvdidn't mention the effect, if any, of makeup gain on this reporting.

What I'd like to know, thinking about it, is how many db of gain reduction has been applied by the totality of the dynamics plugins on the channel, regardless of whether this has been subject to makeup gain boosts.

As a non-techy, I've been assuming that somewhere in the aax specification includes the plugin reporting how much gain reduction it has applied. If that's the case, the gain reduction is, most likely, simply adding together the information reported by the plugins, anid displaying this in real time in a meter.

Of course I could be totally wrong. If anyone has good knowledge of exactly how it works, I'm interested to know.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:30 AM

It is reported to give you a total of GR reported by all dyn procs on that channel, as well as be selectable to show only GR from a particular plug.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:43 AM

There must be some kind of a "message queue" between plugs and the mixer. So all the gain reductions reported on the message queue would just be added together.

So far, I have no idea whether it is total gain reduction or will that be affected if some plugin adds gain for some reason. Remains to be seen. But I would guess it's only gain reductions.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:43 AM

Keep in mind that it is HD only.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:19 AM

or included in a new, shortly to be announced, CPTK3? ;-)
Old 04-14-2013, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelpry View Post
or included in a new, shortly to be announced, CPTK3? ;-)
Very funny
Old 04-14-2013, 08:35 AM

Ultimately it doesn't matter as GR is GR. Gating, Expansion, Compression all the look the same on a GR meter. So it's going to be the culmination of all of them.

Would it be cool to be able to toggle through each one to see what plug is doing what??? Yeah, but I bet that would require a lot of extra coding and I'd be surprised to see it in this release.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:14 AM

I would think its a cumulative value. Its possible that changing the meter type will change its ballistics.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88