Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 08-07-2002, 01:09 AM

Default Storage & Backup

I'd like to go ahead and backup all the ProTools sessions and audio files on my nearly full 60GB audio drive (it's eating me alive that I haven't backed up some of my stuff yet and I'll be devastated if I lose it all to a crash).

But I dread burning everything to CDRs because it takes so much time... doing nothing but waiting for each burn to complete...and lots of discs.

Just wondering how ProTools users backup and store
their precious audio... are there faster ways to copy an audio drive than burning 700MB at a time? Are external drives an option? What other methods are available?

I'm not a computer wizkid, I don't know what my options are, so any advice would be appreciated.
Old 08-07-2002, 01:22 AM

Default Re: Storage & Backup

I do several things.
First I back up each session as I go along to CDR.
I also use my 60 gig system drive to back up my audio drive.
Lastly, I took an old 266mhz machine I had in the corner, added a couple of bigass drives, and put it on my home network as a backup location for all the computers on my net.
Old 08-07-2002, 01:26 AM

This may be beyong your scope but...

I backup to a RAID array on another computer. This keeps the network resources off my audio workstation. A drive on the Raid can go down and there is still no loss of data. From what I've read here at the DUC, performance under PT suffers from using a RAID, especially the built in RAID on the on-board Promise controllers of some of the more popular motherboards. So I use a RAID on separate machine.

Since most users probably don't have access to network resources you can:

1. Install another hard drive in your machine, but don't RAID them. Instead, just copy the files from one hard drive to another periodically.

2. Some users are probably using Zip drives though the capacity is small for alot of files.

3. Stay away from backup programs that can compress your data. Some audio files lose data when uncompressed later, depending on the type of compression used. Best to stay away from compression altogether IMO.

4. Organize your files so that you can backup by song or session to CDR. When backing up a session, backup all files. Don't use incremental backups. You will want to be able to restore in one step.

5. If backing up to CDR, some programs will copy the files back to the hard drive with the readonly attribute set. This will prevent PT from using them properly and you may need to reset the file attributes after restoring. This depends on the program used to burn the CDR and the method used to copy the CDR back to the hard drive.

Hope this helps some.

BTW, back up your data today! You should do this religously! You will have a failure sooner or later. It just a matter of when.

Steve Moore
Old 08-07-2002, 01:44 AM

fwafitz,
All good advice...
Also, here's what I do to make sessions more compact before burning to CD:

1.Consolidate each of your Audio tracks by highlighting the whole track first, and choosing File/Consolidate track (or Ctl/Shift/3)
2.In your Audio regions list at the right of the Edit Window, choose 'Select Unused regions'.
3.Now either choose 'Remove' or 'Delete', and hit Enter to get rid of each region.(I just tap it quickly).
4.Your regions list should be quite a bit smaller now. You can also choose 'Compress files'(or similar), but I usually don't.
5.Now, I do a 'SAVE Session Copy In', and Be SURE to check 'INCLUDE AUDIO FILES'. Then put the new smaller session in it's own file somewhere separate from the old session files.
6.Once I've opened and played this new session, I delete the old session and all its files.

Once you get all your old sessions on CD, just add each new one as you go. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

~Roy
Old 08-07-2002, 02:17 PM

I don't do this... but i have a nutso friend who's hosting a couple website/e-mails on his servers at home. yes... server(s) with the S

he has 4 servers right now, 1 for e-mail, 1 for website, 2 linux boxes doing i don't know what.

But anyway, he backs up everything every night onto 4 different computers. i think a 2 of them are in the nederlands. They're backed up on 6 seperate drives, in 4 totally seperate locations, so if one place gets nuked or gets burnt down, he has 3 other places where he has back up.

He did something similar to my church's data base, we have 2 60or80gig drives (dont' remember which) anyway 20 gig is used for system software, the other 40-60 is mirrored on both drives, so if one drives dies for whatever reason, it's there's a duplicate copy on the other drive. He also backs it up every night on his own servers and 2 other computers somewhere around the world.
Old 08-07-2002, 02:20 PM

Well, that's what I call backing up your stuff. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-07-2002, 02:21 PM

Oh yeah... this is what he tells me...

don't think you're safe just cause you have things backed up on two physically seperate drives or even computer for that matter cuz if lighting strikes your place (and it's happened to his school before), it can nuke the whole network and kill both drives at the same time.

Always have your stuff backed up either onto something like tape or CD or get it onto another computer far away in a different physical location (not in the same building) or be like him.... do both
Old 08-07-2002, 02:26 PM

Offsite backup is paramount for mission critical data. Multiple redundancy is the key (along with differing physical locations!

Of course to backup large files over the net to a far away location would require a dedicated connection with sufficient UPLOAD bandwidth.

Steve Moore
Old 08-07-2002, 03:09 PM

DVD-R. If you can afford the initial expense, it's the best way to make multiple back-ups. Blank disks are getting pretty cheap now.
Old 08-07-2002, 03:43 PM

I would recomend getting a good tape drive. These tapes are a little bit bigger than dat tapes and can handle 60 gig's easy, they come in multiple sizes. Tape drives have been around a while and are pretty reliable. The only draw back is that they do take a little while to save everything. Set it to backup before you go to bed and in the morning your entire computer is on a little tape. It works out really well and takes up very little storage space. Look into it.
Calvin