Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 07-29-2014, 09:50 AM

Default Re: Waves Studiorack

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
But who's buying?
So so true

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 3.1 Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 07-29-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul23 View Post
So so true
Somebody must be!! Where else did Waves get the money to fund the development of this system?!?!

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
Somebody must be!! Where else did Waves get the money to fund the development of this system?!?!

Wup
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post

Yep, bought TDM and WUP for Protools, got studiorack and digigrid.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waves Audio View Post
In our tests we got 54 non-optimized SSL Channel mono instances on an HDX card at 48 kHz, and 18 instances at 96 kHz. We felt that this was unfair when compared with any SoundGrid server or DiGiGrid IOS or DLS interface.

Please note that the SSL Channel uses full 64-bit arithmetic, which is easily processed natively on Intel engines. HDX uses TI DSPs, which are 32-bit engines with some limited extensions for 64-bit arithmetic. However, doing proper double-precision on these chips costs more than 2x CPU.

If you think HDX is bad you should try the DSP chip on my UAD-2 card......ludicrous

#crackerjackdsp

#intelhasmorepower
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike496 View Post
Yep, bought TDM and WUP for Protools, got studiorack and digigrid.

Same here. In other words: bought into Digidesign/Avid DSP platform with a promise of continued support, but did not get what was promised.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studioj11 View Post
I believe Waves Audio was referring to an HD "Accel" card.

Yes those numbers for hdx are actually quite good in my opinion also! And the fact that we are limited to 64 stereo voices with digigrid driver or avail I/O when connecting via HDX makes the large amount of dsp avail on the digigrid server slightly less exciting. I think we would hit the limits stated about the hdx card just by digigrid voice count before hitting a dsp wall anyway.

Of course these are theoretical benchmarks and are just given to show avail dsp ... other plugins will require different amounts of resources.

Regardless I am curious about this product and will be keeping an eye on reviews and reactions, as well as third party interest / support.
64 mono channels actually (or as they themselves call it voices)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waves Audio View Post
Sure, we're glad to have the opportunity to discuss it with all of you.

In our tests we got 54 non-optimized SSL Channel mono instances on an HDX card at 48 kHz, and 18 instances at 96 kHz. We felt that this was unfair when compared with any SoundGrid server or DiGiGrid IOS or DLS interface. Therefore, we took an HD Accel card and filled it with SSL TDM versions, and multiplied that by the most optimistic optimization prediction from Avid, which according to their numbers is up to five times more powerful. This gave us the benchmark standards that we published.

Please note that the SSL Channel uses full 64-bit arithmetic, which is easily processed natively on Intel engines. HDX uses TI DSPs, which are 32-bit engines with some limited extensions for 64-bit arithmetic. However, doing proper double-precision on these chips costs more than 2x CPU.
Alright so no optimization was done, and since you haven't mentioned it, it's safe to assume that you fed the whole 3 blocks to the chip since you didn't uncoupled the 3 blocks (GUI / CORE / PROCESSOR) from each others.. and then you wonder why you had such bad results.. but wait, then you did something even worst, you went ahead and used HD accel which does not have 8 x 32 bit path of processing per clock beat per chips but 1 (so 8 times less processing per chip right away) that had a slower clock time than the hdx by a factor of almost 3 (and more since the HDX can do 8 process at the same time vs 1 for the HD accel) and had 2 x less chips on 1 card, and then decided to just multiply this by 5? You do know that some plugins have went up by almost 10 to 15x more right on HDX compared to their TDM versions?

So basically thanks for confirming what had been told to us prior to this but by a wave aficionado and not someone directly from wave. You didn't do a proper job at porting the plugin and even more you went with a totally UN-scientific (to be polite) benchmark.... Way to go!

I was hoping that your company would have made it's true diligence and really took the time to actually do a proper test and not some duckedtapedpatch job ala red green show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZDCBVy22W8

Sheesh please don't take this a slant to you personally, but somewhere someone in your company made a truly bad move with that kind of work.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
64 mono paths actually

I'm pretty sure when used natively (as in with the soundgrid driver) digigrid provides 128 mono paths of networked audio, or 64 stereo. At least that is what I have read.

When used via the digilink avid connectors I think you are limited to available io as the server is treated as an io insert. Which btw would make offline bouncing inoperable yeah?
Old 07-29-2014, 10:39 AM

If the box has two DigiLink ports, it is 64 mono channels.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studioj11 View Post
I'm pretty sure when used natively (as in with the soundgrid driver) digigrid provides 128 mono paths of networked audio, or 64 stereo. At least that is what I have read.

When used via the digilink avid connectors I think you are limited to available io as the server is treated as an io insert. Which btw would make offline bouncing inoperable yeah?
Exactly for the offline bounces, you need to convert all the plugins you have in your session that would be on the digigrid as native. I linked you the SR pdf (hopefully at the right place) where you can see the amount of total voices, and they do mention ( don't remember if it's there) that they consider 1 mono channel as 1 voice.

Here's an other excerpt

Hardware Connection | Number of I/O Channels
DLS/DLI Avid expansion DigiLink connector | 16 mono
DLS/DL Directly to Avid PCI/e, single port | 32 mono
DLS/DLI Directly to Avid PCI/e, two ports | 64 mono
SoundGrid supports a maximum of 64 mono StudioRacks.